New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

feeding fish

Started by washefuzzy, March 09, 2012, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I purchased 10 Black Phantom Tetras. I'm waiting for a 15 gal long to put them in for now I separated them into  two 5 gallon tanks. One of the tanks is a typical 5 gal but the other tank Is 16" tall. The ones in the regular 5 gal tank are coming to  the top of tank to feed but the ones in the  is 16" tall haven't caught on that there is food floating on the water.
How do I get them to eat.  ???
I tempted to put the all into the reg 5 gal. They seem much more happy when I had them in the regular 5gal and they where eating. I would double the filter capacity and change 80% of the water once a week. They would be in the 5gal for a couple of weeks.  I did buy a 10gal at the Giant Auction to put them in until I got the 15 gal tank. Unfortunately when I picked up the tank to leave the tank broke. Sigh!

Any ideas of how to get them to eat?

Darth

have you tried to "goldfish" feed, meaning dipping the food in tank rather than sprinkling it on top?

Brine

assuming you're feeding flake foods ...if you soak the flakes in some tank water first they will sink
or just take a pinch in your fingers and hold it under the surface for a couple seconds then let it go and it will sink

daworldisblack

When I feed fry that are too nervous to come to the top to feed, i pinch the flakes between my fingers and grind them before dropping them into the water. It will either sink by itself or I use a turkey baster to drop droplets of tank water on top of those floating food so that it moistens them and makes them sink.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

washefuzzy

Thanks that should work.

Nerine

Be patient fishies!!! Will reseal that 15 hopefully by the end of the weekend if this awesome warm weather keeps up :D
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

washefuzzy

Thanks Nerine but no pressure. I know how busy you are.
I had some plastic plants that I removed from the tank. Instead of coming out to eat they where hiding in the plants.
So I had some success in feeding the fish by wetting the flakes.

Nerine

hehe no worries :) I gotta get a 30 gallon resealed too!!! which I have to pick up tomorrow!!

Glad they are eating now :) They will look really nice all in the same tank!!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts