New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fluval canister repair

Started by catfishsteve, March 24, 2007, 12:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfishsteve

Is there someone or somewhere I could take my 404 to have it checked out ?
I've never had one but I don't think its working 100%

babblefish1960

What specifically is happening that makes you think it requires repair?

catfishsteve

it makes a small rattling noise even though i'm pretty sure I got all the air out. And I'm not so sure the flow is what ti should be. I would just like to get it checked out.

PaleoFishGirl

A couple of things to check (speaking from experience):

Is the impeller cover properly inserted (did both tabs make a loud 'click' when you pushed them in?)?
Is the impeller broken or deeply scratched in any way?
Is the ceramic impeller shaft broken?

Regarding your flow, is the filter clean? How long has it been running? Are the hoses clogged up?

normc

Are you sure its the filter itself and not the stop valve on the intake tube, mine rattles some times.

catfishsteve

Quote from: normc on March 24, 2007, 11:13:29 PM
Are you sure its the filter itself and not the stop valve on the intake tube, mine rattles some times.
Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on March 24, 2007, 06:17:12 PM
A couple of things to check (speaking from experience):

Is the impeller cover properly inserted (did both tabs make a loud 'click' when you pushed them in?)?
Is the impeller broken or deeply scratched in any way?
Is the ceramic impeller shaft broken?

Regarding your flow, is the filter clean? How long has it been running? Are the hoses clogged up?

All those things check out the only things in the filter are the sponge and bio media (three empty chambers)

PaleoFishGirl

Time to buy an Eheim... I did ;)

BigDaddy

:D  Maybe I'll convince another convert!

With most canister filters, the rattle is the impellor shaking inside the motor housing.  There's usually only two reasons for this

a)  the shaft is warn out or damaged, causing the impellor to not sit completely centered in the housing.
b)  the impellor itself is worn.  As the only moving part in the assembly, impellors take a lot of wear and tear and should be replaced when they start getting too noisy.