New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tank drilling

Started by Rumble Fish, October 16, 2015, 10:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumble Fish

I have two freshwater tanks I'm interested in drilling to set up for sumps.  One is a 100g and will have a 55g sump and the other is a 75 (but I don't have a sump yet for it).  My plan is to drill my drains on the sides of the tanks and silicone a coast to coast style weir in front of them to set the water level.

So far I am unable to find any appropriate sized glass hole saws to accommodate my bulkheads and I've had to order one online.  I'm curious if anyone knows of a place that sells them locally?

The 100g is definitely an all glass tank, however the 75g has a sticker on the bottom saying 'tempered glass do not drill'.  Also, the top of this tank frame has a bar that extends through the middle from one side to the other for extra support.  Since the tank is now (partially) set up to house my fish I can't easily take it outside to check the sides of the tank versus the bottom using a polarized lens.  I've tried using a white screen from my iPad and my sunglasses (which I think are polarized) but the side glass seems clear to me.  Is it likely only the bottom of the tank is tempered in this case?

Thanks for any feedback!
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish

goldfish

On the 70 it will only be tempered on the bottom so your good to go on drilling. Bulkheads you can get from both lfs in town. Got fish used to have a very good selection of that kind of stuff but not sure whats there now. Sorry no one has taken two mins to help you before my answer. Hope that helps  :D

Rumble Fish

Thanks, goldfish, that's the answer I was hoping for!
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish