New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Gauging interest in regular get togethers

Started by charlie, September 17, 2011, 01:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

I'm looking for 'easy' plants... a bit of moss, java fern, anubias nana/petite, hygro kompakt, vals, ludwigia repens, bacopa australis, staurogyne repens. 

Tropica calls downoi a low needs plant, what I've read indicates otherwise.. what do you guys think?

Maybe PM if you have anything for me:  I have nothing to swap (yet!) and I'll need an idea of how many pennies to bring.  ;)

I'll bring a snack, but not sure yet what that may be..  veggies and dip?

2075turner

Hey Al,

Well it's this coming Sunday, wow time flies.  Once again it will be at my place

1 Brydon Court in Nepean.  Phone number is 613-226-5405 incase you get lost.  Starts at 1pm.

Hope you can all make it.  I am new to the planted world so not lots to offer other than interest in what others have to say, lol. 

Not sure what I will be making to snack on yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with something ;)

Cheers, Evelyn

bizfromqc

I'd like to add my name to the list of people attending.

Again, totally new to this hobby and planted tanks but I'll be there to soak in the knowledge. I to would be interested in acquiring new plants but have nothing to trade. All I have now are a couple of crypts, a sword and some windelov fern...

Charlie mentioned I need some fast growing stem plants so I'm looking for that  :)

I'd be interested in learning more about the practical aspect of keeping aquarium plants i.e how to plant them, where, how to maintain, clip, move, etc... lighting tips as mentioned earlier also appeals to me.

I too would like to know what sort of cash to bring in to buy plants/clippings from you guys.

Looking forward to meet everyone.

charlie

This is what i`m bringing - Riccia, Peacock moss,Ludwigia brevipes, Blyxa Japonica,ludwigia Arcuata,Alternanthera reineckii,Eriocaulon Setaceum,
Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba'' ,Tonina sp. fluviatilis.
Should we have anyone interested in plants donate a nominal fee for the plants & forward the proceeds to the host to help offset expenses incurred? lets hear your thoughts.
See you on Sunday, don`t be shy come out & have fun - member /non member
QuoteHey Al,

Well it's this coming Sunday, wow time flies.  Once again it will be at my place

1 Brydon Court in Nepean.  Phone number is 613-226-5405 incase you get lost. Starts at 1pm.
Hope you can all make it.  I am new to the planted world so not lots to offer other than interest in what others have to say, lol. 

Not sure what I will be making to snack on yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with something

pm

I sure hope Evelyn is not experiencing any significant costs to host. 

Errol, I think that your idea is a good one, but might I recommend it be a portion of any sales (a percentage kind of thing).  I am not just thinking about this meeting, but going forward, similar to what is done for OVAS auctions.  This would help the host off-set some costs, but also compensate the plant grower, which in turn would hopefully entice them to bring more or rarer plants.

Just my two cents.  ;D

charlie

Quote from: pm on January 12, 2012, 09:00:54 AM
I sure hope Evelyn is not experiencing any significant costs to host. 

Errol, I think that your idea is a good one, but might I recommend it be a portion of any sales (a percentage kind of thing).  I am not just thinking about this meeting, but going forward, similar to what is done for OVAS auctions.  This would help the host off-set some costs, but also compensate the plant grower, which in turn would hopefully entice them to bring more or rarer plants.

Just my two cents.  ;D

Sounds reasonable to me.
Thanks

2075turner

Hey guys/gals,

Not expecting anything in return other than some good conversations and sharing of knowledge.  Thank you for the offer Errol, I think with the fact it is a pot luck this is great itself.  Bring something if you can, if not no biggie.  Now if it was a meeting of 100 people, lol, my thoughts may be different :o ;D

It's all good.  See you all on Sunday.

charlie

Quote from: 2075turner on January 12, 2012, 11:37:11 AM
Hey guys/gals,

Not expecting anything in return other than some good conversations and sharing of knowledge.  Thank you for the offer Errol, I think with the fact it is a pot luck this is great itself.  Bring something if you can, if not no biggie.  Now if it was a meeting of 100 people, lol, my thoughts may be different :o ;D

It's all good.  See you all on Sunday.
All good , now i like the 100 people  ;D
I`l try & bring some examples of DIY lighting, CO2 diffusers etc.
see all 100 of you on Sunday - all roads lead to Evelyn ;D

Monte

Hi everyone. I will also do my best to be there. I am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon breeder I just bought on boxing day. Going with canister filter, co2 and all the bells and whistles this time.Already spent a small fortune on Filter,co2 regulator,in-line heater, diffuser,maxijet 600,eco-complete substrate, Driftwood,rocks and the list goes on.I am almost finished building my stand.I would love to get some advice on using pressurized co2.I will bring some food as well. Hope to see you all there.  Steve.
40 Gallon Breeder

Shawn84

A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

jshchrtn

I wish I could hit this up just to learn and meet members, damn 12 hour night shifts lol definetly will be taking the day off for the next one lol

2075turner

So I will be providing sandwiches and a fruit platter.  Possibly a home made soup as well if time permits.

Monte

I will be bringing a cheese  platter with crackers.
40 Gallon Breeder

daworldisblack

I'm in too! Have been looking forward to it for a while now and I guess this makes it official! I am not too sure what I'll be bringing but it'll be a surprise I guess?  ;D As for plants that I will have available, I will have Ludwiga Repens, Rotala Rotundifolia , perhaps some Java Moss if I can scrounge up a handful, as well as red tiger lotus if there is interest. Just PM me if so.

P.S: Anyone driving by Meadowlands/Fisher and can offer a ride? Let me know thanks :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: Shawn84 on January 12, 2012, 11:06:06 PM
Count me in as i`m off Sunday :)
Well since the membership chair will be among us, perhaps he can being some membership forms & cards for those desirous of getting their OVAS membership.
This does not mean you need to be or buy a membership to attend  ;)
Regards

bizfromqc

Do we have a list of what people are bringing and how many we'll be? I just have no idea what to bring LOL

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on January 14, 2012, 02:10:38 PM
Do we have a list of what people are bringing and how many we'll be? I just have no idea what to bring LOL
I would guess around 20 if everyone shows up.
I`m bringing some paper plates, mini sausage rolls & green plants  :D
Regards

touchofsky

I made some parmesan and cheddar flatbread crisps today.  My daughter and grand daughter tried them out, and gave them good marks, so I will bring a batch tomorrow.

2075turner

Soup is on.  I also made a pasta salad and potato salad last night so there will be lots of food.  Items I would suggest...your beverages (I don't have diet stuff) and some chips/dip.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

touchofsky