New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Onion Plants

Started by Greg, October 26, 2004, 01:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Good Day,

Does anyone have any experience with Onion Plant reproduction.  I have been surfing and have found three stories.  Cut the bulb, baby bulbs will grow from the main bulb, and runners will create new plants.  It would appear that two sites are wrong..

Anyone have input on what the real deal is?

Thanks for the input.

Greg

dpatte

im not a farmer, but i do have an outdoor regular garden. All the bulbs I have heard of (tulips, gladiolus, etc) replicate by producing small bulbs (or corms) from the (uncut) main bulb. Im sure onions are the same.

Maybe they also propogate by runners, and maybethey can also be propogated by cutting the main bul but I doubt thats necessary.

Greg

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Don't you have any onion plants in all those aquariums?

Cutting the "bulbs" in half sounded like a good way to kill the plants to me.  

As for the baby bulbs (corms), when they appear wouldn't you have to cut them off in order to produce a new plant, or will they end up dividing on their own?

Greg

Ron

Hi Greg,

The Crinum calamistratum I've had simply divide themselves into multiple bulbs when they get large enough.

Best,

Ron

Anubias

I grew and reproduced them in my 180. The bulb of Crinum thaianum will grow to at least 8 cm in diameter. Small bulbs grow attached to it, and may be separated by gently pulling them from the main bulb when mature. Bulb development is slow and relatively unproductive, but it is the only simple method of reproduction of which I am aware. The roots are humungous. I sold the bulb at the 2003 OVAS Auction, after having it for about eight years. It produced five or six plantlets during that period. The plant also flowered twice during that time.

Regards,