New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2.5g Nano

Started by dan2x38, January 16, 2008, 12:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Here is a picture of my Nano tank. The Glosso needs to grow in I had a big problem with it for awhile a lot of green slime algae at 1st. The tank is actually 3.5 months old. It takes some time to establish & balance such a small eco-system. I figure in another couple months it will look the way I want. This is a list of the plants & animals:

-4 Crystal Red Shrimp
-Pogostemon helferi, 'Daonoi' (little star)
-Vesicularia dubyana, 'Christmas Moss'
-Cladophora aegagropila, 'Japanese Moss Balls'
-Glossostigma elatinoides, 'Glosso'
-Cryptocoryne wendtii Green, 'Green Crypt'

[attachment deleted by admin]
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Vizerdrix

beowulf

I'd like something like that a work, if they would only let me!!!  :-\ >:(

Laura

what kind of lighting do you have Dan?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

dan2x38

It has 1 Corallife 15w screw in PC. I used a 20w but that is what triggered the green slime algae plus a bit of hair algae. The lower wattage was easier to control. The substrate is eco-complete. I use a little Excel & Flourish. I use a Red Sea nano filter. I use a bit of peat & nitrate remover in the filter this is for the CRS.
Voltaire:

fischkopp

Thats a ton of light  8) Like bright green tanks, better than any picture in the apartment. Cute idea!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

It's not as bight as you'd think. It is dark substrate. In fact the pic. shows to lghting quite well.
Voltaire:

dpatte

I had a small tank on my desk years ago when I used to programme embedded devices.

They called me the 'Fish and Chips Guy'
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

jackura

Nice tank! the lighting is so bright  8)

dan2x38

Not bright at all there are some white rocks that show bright they are new or only a couple months old.
Voltaire:

bynna

Things are growing nice Dan.  Are you using any heater in it? I can't find one...

dan2x38

I picked-up a mini 7.5w hydor heater. It raises the temp. 2 degrees above room temp. there are no controls. The tank is 74.5 degrees now. I got it from James a member here he has more not sure if he will sell them check him out.
Voltaire:

dan2x38

I found a cheap 8w T5 fixture to fit in the hood of my nano tank. It replaced the screw in Corallife PC 15w. It was a breeze to install. Used velcro tape to hold in place. Had to cut the cord to fit through a hole I drilled in the hood, installed a grommet for it to pass through. Also added a longer cord. The fixture came with a 4100k tube that I replaced with a 5500k. It is so awesome. The light runs the full length of the tank now instead of just over half. It also uses much less hydro. Whole thing worked out about $30 with tax.
Voltaire:

Sharbuckle

looks pretty cool, i think i might start up a 2.5 nano, we should have some sort of 2.5g nano contest ;Dhehehe

dan2x38

It is a challenge growing plants in such a small environment. It has been 4 months and still the plants are not close to what I want. I don't think there are many folks interested in maintaining one.
Voltaire:

blizzack1

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 30, 2008, 10:15:44 PM
It is a challenge growing plants in such a small environment. It has been 4 months and still the plants are not close to what I want. I don't think there are many folks interested in maintaining one.

I am actually looking at something like this for my desk (probably at home - but maybe I can sneak it into work!).

When you talk about maintenance, how much work is there maintaining it?

Looks great btw, even if you're not happy w/ the plant growth.

Cheers,

Josh

dan2x38

It is the Glossostigma elatinoides, 'Glosso' that is not growing like I want. The other plants are doing quite well. Glosso is difficult to grow. Now I have the lighting the way I want I think things will be better. Lighting for such a small FW tank is hard to find.

If the Glosso does not take off I'll replace it with dwarf hair grass maybe. Even look for another batch of Glosso to get it going faster.

If you put one on your desk at work you'd get no work done... LOL
Voltaire:

blizzack1

Do you know if they sell hoods that don't need to be modified to achieve what you did?  I am having trouble locating hoods w/ good lighting for that small a tank!

I see a lot of people using 'desk lamps' that have the arm that they put over the tank... a bit off topic, but any idea if these are modified for aquairum purposes?  I know nothing about lighting (I have an African Cichlid tank!) and am just starting to research.

Quote from: dan2x38 on January 31, 2008, 12:20:35 PM
It is the Glossostigma elatinoides, 'Glosso' that is not growing like I want. The other plants are doing quite well. Glosso is difficult to grow. Now I have the lighting the way I want I think things will be better. Lighting for such a small FW tank is hard to find.

If the Glosso does not take off I'll replace it with dwarf hair grass maybe. Even look for another batch of Glosso to get it going faster.

If you put one on your desk at work you'd get no work done... LOL

dan2x38

PS sells a 2.5g kit. It has an incandescent socket. You could remove that and add a small fluorescent fixture from Home Depot or a lighting outlet. Might be something on E-Bay...
Voltaire:

Sharbuckle

what are you using for substrate, i have to empty tanks, a 5 and a 10 i want to turn into planted tanks