New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Egeria - fertalizer and growing out.

Started by KLKelly, January 22, 2008, 10:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I am determined to grow this floating plant in a 4 gallon bowl with natural sunlight.  Its Brazilian elodea (egeria densa) - Thanks Dan!!!!!!!!

I killed off the duckweed and Elodea I tried to grow last time - blond moment thinking sunlight was all it needed.

I have plant fertilizer but it has an expiry date.  Its never been open and still sealed.  Does fertilizer really expire?

If I keep it in three gallons of water - how often would I add fertilizer?  If it handles cold  I could put it in the basement under a clamp light with a 13wCF or 27WCF instead of risking sunlight growing algae.

I want to grow a TON of this stuff and would buy a big rubbermaid bin if I can keep it alive long enough.

KLKelly

I could even set up my hagen CO2 ladder since there isn't any fish to kill in the bin.

dan2x38

Don't use Seachem Excel (carbon substitute) it can harm Egeria. Don't put it in the basement. Check this link out: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Plantdir/egeriad.htm Don't over think this, it's a basic plant. Here's another link from Tropicia: http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=058

I had troubles with this plant until I moved it to a tank without CO2 because that lowers pH & KH. Egeria prefers pH above neutral and a bit harder water. Also when I moved it the tank was cooler from 78-80 to 74-75. The tank had much less light but it still grows well. Using a basic fert. like Flourish, cooler temps, 2-2.5 watts per gallon it should grow well. Don't try to root it until it has some root crawlers because it does not root well. Once it is rooting put some root tabs in the substrate. Must have enough substrate so it will hold it in place not to course of gravel. if possible get a little eco-complete or fluorite.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

Thanks Dan - over thinking and complicating is something I do best.   

My plan is to get enough in the tank at one time it can win out over the salad monsters.

I have perfect water for it - it looks like.  PH of 8.3 and GH of 10.  I love this plant!

dan2x38

Quote from: KLKelly on January 22, 2008, 11:30:49 PM
Thanks Dan - over thinking and complicating is something I do best.   

My plan is to get enough in the tank at one time it can win out over the salad monsters.

I have perfect water for it - it looks like.  PH of 8.3 and GH of 10.  I love this plant!

It has always been one of my favs. I killed off my 1st couple batchs at $6-$7 each...  >:( Finally I posted here before my 3rd batch had died off... it was Charlie (of course) who clued me in... I saved it and now it grows...  :) Still not sure you can get it to grow fast enough in the goldie tanks and still keep more then a stem... LOL Plus they like rooting around to much they'll up root it too. Their little buggers!   ::) Either way this is a great plant.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

The java moss is winning finally thanks to BigDaddy.  I was able to tie down enough to craft mesh sheets tied together and weighed down with rocks.  I didn't expect it to still be alive today. I was sure it would be gone in weeks but its still there.  I don't have any more than I started with - still a huge success.