New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40 watts on 90g for low light plants ??

Started by Aghad, June 25, 2009, 04:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aghad

Hello ... i have this 90 gallon aquarium sitting in my basement with a 40 watt light fixture ... am planning on turning it into a planted aquarium. However, i can't afford buying all the (HO lights, CO2) at once so am going slowly. I recently bought 160lbs of Carribsee eco-complete, they are still sealed with the liquid inside.

It will take about two months before i can get the lights and CO2 .... but am thinking about doing something with the aquarium for now... i have the gravel and this 40 watts fixture.

So, should i open the bags and get java ferns and other low light plants .... would they survive these conditions ?
or should i save the liquid until i get the HO lights and CO2 ??

any advice would be appreciated.

zima

I would say wait until you have some more appropriate lights for plant growth. See, if we follow the watts/gallon ratio, you are below 0.5 w/g, which is very low even for the least demanding plants. Also, if you have the standard 90 gallon, it is a rather tall tank, which makes it harder for the light to penetrate.

Depending on what you'd like to do with the setup and the kind of plants you are looking for, you might be okay with 1.5 w/g range and no CO2. This is just to say that you don't have to go crazy buying expensive HO light and pressurised CO2. However, do read up on the low light plant species and decide whether that is the route you'd like to go.

Bottom line - I'd say wait till you have an appropriate setup for planted aquarium.

charlie

Quote from: zima on June 26, 2009, 03:36:59 PM
I would say wait until you have some more appropriate lights for plant growth. See, if we follow the watts/gallon ratio, you are below 0.5 w/g, which is very low even for the least demanding plants. Also, if you have the standard 90 gallon, it is a rather tall tank, which makes it harder for the light to penetrate.

Depending on what you'd like to do with the setup and the kind of plants you are looking for, you might be okay with 1.5 w/g range and no CO2. This is just to say that you don't have to go crazy buying expensive HO light and pressurised CO2. However, do read up on the low light plant species and decide whether that is the route you'd like to go.

Bottom line - I'd say wait till you have an appropriate setup for planted aquarium.
I agree with Zima,to add to that you can easily step your lights up to 1.5 WPG by going DIY depending on your set up & flexability on appearance.Eg 2 x54 watt T5 HO strips from the hydroponic store will cost you approx 80.00 tx in Complete + your exsisting lights & you will be good to grow most low light plants without CO2 ect.

Here is a link that will provide you with some useful info.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=35307.0

Adam

Try going to Home Depot or another big box hardware store...  They have this shoplight made out of polished aluminum that has reflectors that cradle the bulb.  Best looking and working fixture I've seen for an aquarium for relatively little money.  I think it was $25, plus another $5 for 2 bulbs.  You just doubled (or tripled if you use your other fixture as well) your light this way.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers