New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

55g Planted build

Started by smalltownfan, August 16, 2009, 03:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

Pictures of the 55g. Start up date March 25 with cuttings from charlie and dan2X38, added Tropica plants on April 25 with DIY CO2, went pressurized CO2 (thanks for the equipment & advice nightie) with EI dosing on June 10. Still need to learn how to use the Ph meter.

Have done several minor trims and two massive trims in that time. CO2 is the way to go!

Picture 1 is July 20 after a major trim
Other pictures are August 15

3x39w + 2x20w on timers
Magnum Pro HOT filter with spraybar
20 Harlequin Tetras
4 Salt &  Pepper cories
12 Amano shrimp
?? Cherry red shrimp
1 Royal Pleco

BTW charlie, that is the lotus pod/seed you gave me. Gorgeous plant! Has just started to really grow, slow starter.

[attachment deleted by admin]
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

fischkopp

It's grown in quite nicely! :)

Those lotus plants are a mystery to me: one quarter they are doing great and choke everything around them, then next quarter they become totally dormant ... well, they are slowly coming back ... :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Wow, the tank has come along nicely, nice to see the lotus bulb blossom.

exv152

Nice plants, very colourful display.  What kind of ferts are you using ?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

smalltownfan

Dosing 3 days a week
Recipe from "nightie"

Potassium Nitrate KNO3  - 1/4 tsp
Potassium Sulfate K2SO4 - 1/8 tsp
Sodium Phosphate Na3SA4- 1/8 tsp
Chelated Trace Element Mix - 1/8 tsp
Googling this; it's typically a mix of Iron, Boron, Manganese, Zinc, Copper, Molybdenum, Calcium (Fe 7%, B 1.3%, Mn 2%, Zn 0.4%, Cu 0.1%, Mo 0.06%, Ca 0.05%)

I saw the reference to copper and know that it's usually deadly to invertebrates but tell that to my Amanos and Cherry Reds, they're thriving.

I find the 55g too small for the plants I like, with the above mix, CO2 and high lighting I spend a lot of time trimming, but I love the look.

Later this year I plan to get the 220g  :D, now that will be a challenge but if I can get the same results as now, it's going to be gorgeous. Still researching and planning for the SA biotope, trying to find a locale that has higher light levels than usually found in the smaller tributaries (tea colored water and overhanging branches would mean lower levels of lighting) Looking at areas with larger bodies of flowing water that would receive lots of light but then again that may impact the types of flora and fauna I can use. Hopefully it's going to be built around a large school (25-30) of Salt & Pepper Cories, indigenous plecos, several pods of Tetras, a few wild Discus and (some angels?) I found the perfect branchy wood at BA's east, got a whole armload to represent the branches and roots of downed trees. Looking into substrate and substrate heaters now. At the moment I think I might keep the 55g for a sump (needs more thought)

Will keep you posted.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

exv152

And for your CO2, are you using yeast or pressurized, and what kind of system are you using?  I've been planning to switch to pressurized. I saw a nice paintball tank at walmart for about $40 (24 oz) and thought that may go well with the Red Sea paintball regulator.  But, I'm thinking that may need to be refilled quite often. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

smalltownfan

I went pressurized when I got a great deal on a Milwaukee MA957 regulator & tank. No more cooking up batched of yeast for the DIY, I'm glad for the pressurized. More consistency
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

jart

My impression is that most folks dose traces on alternate days... the iron can form an insoluble precipitate with phosphate.

Very nice tank, BTW.

smalltownfan

Dosing is done Monday - Wednesday - Friday,  Sunday is W/C & trim day
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

charlie

Quote from: smalltownfan on August 27, 2009, 08:45:19 AM
Dosing is done Monday - Wednesday - Friday,  Sunday is W/C & trim day
What jart was suggesting was that it is not recommended to dose traces & macro at the same time, since phosphate is said to case the iron from the traces to precipitate & fall out  to the bottom of the tank , hence why Tom Barr suggest dosing traces on off days between the Macros.

jart

What is the tall red plant in the 2901 picture?

smalltownfan

Quote from: charlie on August 27, 2009, 08:57:25 AM
What jart was suggesting was that it is not recommended to dose traces & macro at the same time, since phosphate is said to case the iron from the traces to precipitate & fall out  to the bottom of the tank , hence why Tom Barr suggest dosing traces on off days between the Macros.
Oohh! Didn't catch that. Didn't know. Will check it out.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish