New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank

Started by Consigliere, September 03, 2009, 01:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consigliere

This tank has been filling in nicely of late and it's ready for a big trim.  The pogostemon stellata in the left corner is getting a buzz and the clippings are going to go to the 20G tank.

This one was taken with the new camera and I'm starting to like what I can do with it.  I had to change almost every setting a little bit but I think I am getting there.  I might start looking for a tripod soon to help with the focusing.  Overall I am pretty happy with how this tank has turned out.  The only thing I am hoping for is that the front left will fill in with HC.  If the HC in my 20G takes off I will let the marcilea minutia fill in the front left, instead of the HC, in this tank. I am going to throw in another stem to hide the CO2 lines but haven't decided a species.  I'm also thinking about maybe one or two of the 18" crypt balansae in my 70G since they are low maintenance.  I definitely appreciate that if you have multiple planted tanks on the go slow growers are your friends!

charlie

Consigliere

Well I think I have nuked all the shrimp in this tank.  It has been a few weeks since I have seen any of them.  I think I may have killed them when I went to dry fert dosing on this tank.  To dose these small quantities is tough with only a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon.  I think I overdosed on some element and lost them all.  Although, I haven't seen any bodies, so they may just be hiding in the jungle munching away on algae, but I doubt it.  I will have to do a bit more research on keeping shrimp and also get a better measuring system for dosing this tank.  I may even go back to liquid dosing if the dry dosing doesn't work out.

Here's the tank as it stands now.

The pogostemon stellata has been trimmed several times since the last update.  It has been sent out to a few plant package buyers.  I have finally identified the other stem and it is certainly ludwigia arcuata.  It has taken off since I have stayed on top of the DIY CO2 injection.  It will be trimmed up this week.  The java ferns are starting to produce tons of plantlets now as well.  Soon I will be able to start offering these in the plant packages as well.

charlie

I doubt you lost them, they are probably having a vaccation in the jungle  ;)
FYI, you can get stainless measuring spoons @ good old Canadian Tire baking section, they come in Smidgen- Pinch-Dash = 1/32- 1/16 -1/8.

pminister

nice tank. almost jealous over here with you success keep it up.

Consigliere

Thanks for the heads up on Canadian Tire....heading there now.

charlie

Not directly related , but does offer a different view on dosing ferts & keeping shrimp, especially the much so called sensitive CRS.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=35380.0

I have  overdosed via EI all ferts 3x a week when i was really pushing the plant growth, case in point 59 gln tank - 4x54 watts HO T5 lamps , heavy co2 injection & dosing 3 x a week 3/4 tsp Nitrates, 3/8 tsp phosphates & 1/4 tsp Potassium sulphate Cherry shrimp bred like crazy  ;), incidentally the EI recommended dose for that tank is 40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=AA0hAId8UGg&NR=1

Consigliere

Thanks for the info Charlie.  Some more reading leads me to believe I may have overheated the tank and lost them, if indeed they are lost.  I have been dosing EI method in this tank using the same guidelines but it is lower CO2 than 30ppm.  Either way, I've learned from it and will do better with the next batch.

Unfortunately, I have been all over town looking for pinch-dash measuring spoons to no avail.  Maybe the new CT will have them.