New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Who does dirt?

Started by wrm130, November 02, 2012, 11:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrm130

So I'm still pretty new to this but I've been running dirt in all my tanks for the past 6 months and so far (knock on wood) the results are spectacular.

My 5g in particular is running 6wpg for 13hrs a day.  No C02 and no algae:) Aaaaand I've NEVER, EVER vacuumed or cleaned, just water changes.

Anyone else?

Also, newb question: Even if I'm using high output lighting on some of the tanks, if there is no c02 or fertilization going on is this considered low tech?  How does one determine the "tech" level of a setup?

Lol AND one more thing, ALL my tanks always test 0 Nitrate...I'm assuming this is good.....ish?

fischkopp

I used black earth, covered with silica sand, in two different 40B setup and have to agree with you that it produces amazing result while being quite uncomplicated from an nutrient point of view. The tanks that had CO2 injection were growing considerably faster. It's a great choice if you plan on keeping heavy root feeders like swords and especially crypts.

I would not recommend it for aqua-scaped tanks, or any setup that requires you the re-plant regularly. Earth clouds will be inevitable. Another problem that may occur over time is that the earth itself keeps decaying. Worst case is that this happens without oxygen, which can led to the production of hydrogen sulphide. That could end fatal for livestock as it is quite poisonousness. You want to keep checking for air pockets in the substrate from time to time. In my experience, it's best to re-do a tank after two years.

People usually refer to the use of fancy equipment when the talk about high tech tanks. Don't give too much about it. Personally, I find this very misleading. It's more appropriate to talk about low/mid/high light setups. More light will demand more work to achieve nutrient balance, all depending on the plants that are kept. And that can be achieved in many ways.

Nitrates of zero are usually a bad thing in planted tanks. However, since you use soil, nitrates will be provided through the substrate, so you are all good. :)

Happy plant-keeping!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

Quote from: wrm130 on November 02, 2012, 11:56:51 PM...Also, newb question: Even if I'm using high output lighting on some of the tanks, if there is no c02 or fertilization going on is this considered low tech?  How does one determine the "tech" level of a setup?

Lol AND one more thing, ALL my tanks always test 0 Nitrate...I'm assuming this is good.....ish?

Low tech usually refers to med - low intensity lighting with no pressurized co2 injection. When you refer to high output lighting, what kind of lighting do you have?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

dbl_dbl

Just started my dirt tank tonight! First attempt at low tech.

charlie

wrm130

Quote from: exv152 on November 03, 2012, 08:31:37 PM
Low tech usually refers to med - low intensity lighting with no pressurized co2 injection. When you refer to high output lighting, what kind of lighting do you have?

All lights are as close to the surface as I can get them.  Lights are(6 tanks)
6.3G- 26watt spiral bulb plus stock led that comes with the Evolve 8
16G- 2x24" T5H0
10G's-2x15watt spiral bulbs
18G-2x24" T5H0 mounted in white painted stock hood
5g-2x15watt 8000k T8

So I guess only the 16g and 18g have high output lighting...But the wpg's are fairly decent on all the tanks.

As a ridiculous experiment I am purchasing a 30g long tomorrow and will be running a quad 4' T5H0 setup on it.  216watts.

Quote from: fischkopp on November 03, 2012, 01:27:59 AM
I used black earth, covered with silica sand,

I would not recommend it for aqua-scaped tanks, or any setup that requires you the re-plant regularly. Earth clouds will be inevitable. Another problem that may occur over time is that the earth itself keeps decaying. Worst case is that this happens without oxygen, which can led to the production of hydrogen sulphide.

Nitrates of zero are usually a bad thing in planted tanks. However, since you use soil, nitrates will be provided through the substrate, so you are all good. :)

Happy plant-keeping!

I dont mind the occasional dirt cloud, I rarely move plants....And if the roots just dont want to come loose, I'll snip around the base(out from the plant a bit)
I am using gravel but the sand has me curious about something.  While the smaller grains(I imagine)would create a better cap, could the tighter packed sand be a significant contributing factor to anerobic pockets?  Are snails and heavy root feeding plants a plausible long term solution?  Though tearing down and starting again could always be fun...

Any suggestions as to where my nitrates could be going?  I had planted tanks before without dirt and they would register nitrates...I'm thinking its the dirt specifically thats causing this but I dont understand why or how:(

wrm130

Quote from: charlie on November 03, 2012, 09:09:51 PM
we like pictures  ;)

Instead of reposting the same pictures, can I just post a link to my ovas introduction?
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=54952.0

Please dont be too hard on me for my layouts.  I'm still really new at this and just trying all sorts of plants at random.  Basically whatever I can get my hands on that'll fit in my tanks:)

sas

Quote from: wrm130 on November 03, 2012, 11:00:17 PM

Please dont be too hard on me for my layouts.  I'm still really new at this and just trying all sorts of plants at random.  Basically whatever I can get my hands on that'll fit in my tanks:)

:) No need to be worried about us being critical of your layouts. We all love to see different setups.
Some of us like the wild and crazy look and others like the more orderly setups.
As well there is no better way than to do exactly what you're doing with trying different plants.
Remember this hobby isn't an exact science, and what works for one may not work for another.

charlie

Nice going, like sas said to each his own on layouts  ;), it`s your view that counts.
Keep the pictorial updates coming in this thread.
Regards

fischkopp

Nice setups! I am one who likes the more natural, less manicured look. Well done!

Quote from: wrm130 on November 03, 2012, 10:56:52 PM
I am using gravel but the sand has me curious about something.  While the smaller grains(I imagine)would create a better cap, could the tighter packed sand be a significant contributing factor to anerobic pockets?  Are snails and heavy root feeding plants a plausible long term solution?  Though tearing down and starting again could always be fun...

Any suggestions as to where my nitrates could be going?  I had planted tanks before without dirt and they would register nitrates...I'm thinking its the dirt specifically thats causing this but I dont understand why or how:(

I tried two types of sand. One was plain white sand-blasting silica, grid 40 I believe. This is quite coarse stuff, 2-3mm maybe, but still smaller than average gravel. The other one was black Tahitian Moon Sand, which is very fine, but nicer to look at. Moon sand was a bit more compact; the sandblasting silica wasn't as far as I could tell. But both eventually had air pockets in the substrate. And both tanks had large amounts of MTS.

As for the nitrates, the plants will most likely use them up. All (most) aquatic plants absorb nutrients though leaves and roots. Nutrient uptake trough leaves tend to be easier for plants, so any nitrate in the water column goes first.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dbl_dbl

I've seen wrm's tanks up close, they are fantastic! I'm dirting because of the success he had

wrm130

5g sloppily trimmed.  6wpg 13hrs daily.  Currently housing a whole bunch of shrimp, 2 juvenile cacatuoides and 5 temporary neon tetras.

wrm130

I have upped the photoperiod to 14hrs.  6wpg.  8000k T8.  Both Val species were trimmed well below the waterline on sunday.  I love my dirt:)

And just for fun, and cause they're cute, here are the current two residents.

exv152

I like your pictures. What kind of soil are you using under the gravel cap?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wrm130

miracle grow organic.  A walstad twist I guess.  I've got some other junk mixed in but its mostly just dirt.

wrm130

Here's an interesting picture...;)

My dirted nano.

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

wrm130

wrm130

cherry tank update.  Now hosting unhappy-ish cherries and two cacatuoides.

Plant growth is good.

I really need a background.

ceci

What is the grassy long one in back left corner?