New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

90G Planted Tank Lighting

Started by Glenn, January 12, 2006, 03:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Hello Everybody . . .

Would like to upgrade the lighting on my 90G tank.  It has live plants, which survive, but don't 'thrive.'  I also want to experiment a bit with CO2.

Anyways. . .  if you were buying lights for a 90G planted tank, and you want no worries with any plants, what would you buy?  Tank dimensions are 48x18x24.

Thanks!

Glenndon

darkdep

I built my own lighting for my 90, which ended up being MUCH too much light for the eventual inhabitants (Africans, with a handful of plants).

I used 6 t8 6500k Fluorescents.  I went a little nuts and hooked each one up to it's own ballast so I could do gradual on/off lighting, but it's not really necessary to do that.

Going this way, as opposed to PC's is VERY cost effective...you can get the bulbs from Home Depot for about $4 each, the sockets are about $3 a pair, and wiring you can either buy or use whatever you have lying around.

I now only have 3 of them on as opposed to all 6; without a heavy plant load the 6 actually produce too much light and cause greenwater.

NjOyRiD

hey would you have a pic of your lil lightig project? I'm looking for my 90g too
the cheapest i can get for 3wpg is the aqualight at 275$
thanx
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

Here are the options I would consider... going from cheapest to most expensive.

6 NO fluorescent tubes for 192 Watts (using F32T8 bulbs)
4 CF bulbs for 220 watts (4 x 55 w CF)
2 or 3 VHO for 220 or 330 Watts (using 110W 4 ft bulbs)
2 175 Watt Metal Halide (maybe used in tandem with some "aquarium and plant" bulbs)

The VHO and MH options would be best, because they will be best able to deliver light to the bottom of your tank.

darkdep

I'm actually posting an article on the construction of my canopy, which will include how the lighting was built.  It should be up within the next day or two.

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

darkdep

VHO = Very High Output.  Special T12 size bulbs.

NjOyRiD

370g System

darkdep

Anywhere...Home Depot and aquarium stores.

NjOyRiD

i can have one VHO T12 at 110w each?
you wouldnt any pic by any chances huh?
what kind of fixture do you get with that?
370g System

Marc

Quote from: "darkdep"I'm actually posting an article on the construction of my canopy, which will include how the lighting was built.  It should be up within the next day or two.

If the webmaster ever gets around to it.  I'll try to do it tonight after the Sens game.

Marc

darkdep

I don't know why the webmaster things the Sens game is more important than an Ovas article...

priorities...:)

Glenn

Hey,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm leaning towards the VHO route right now.

Glenn

Mettle

I didn't know VHO was THAT high of an output. Definitely something for me to consider now as well. I'm going to look into it for sure...

Is it possible to retrofit an existing ballast with a VHO setup? And how much, on average, do the bulbs cost for replacement? Is their lifespan the same as NO bulbs?

darkdep

VHO bulbs need VHO Ballasts; and VHO bulbs need to be replaced more often.  They are also less energy efficient than T8 fluorescents...if you care about that sort of thing (i.e you use 3 times the energy to get 225% of the output...not real numbers, an example to illustrate).

gvv

Quote from: "darkdep"VHO bulbs need VHO Ballasts; and VHO bulbs need to be replaced more often.
Or you may use ballast that may start diferent types of lamps, e.g. Workhorse can be used with NO, VHO, T5.

Regards

BigDaddy

Alot of the higher end electronic ballasts will actually fire multiple bulb types.  For example, Ice Cap makes a ballast where you can mix VHO with NO on the same ballast.

The Workhorse by Fulham and the Ice Cap ballasts are both two good options for people thinking about CF, HO or VHO setups.

darkdep

IceCap:  Yes, but those ballasts BETTER fire multiple bulb types, considering the price of the damn things.  I think they are made out of diamonds and platinum.

I highly recommend all Workhorse ballasts.

Glenn

Does anyone have any experiences with the T5 set ups??

Glenndon

darkdep

I tried for a long time to do a T5 setup...you can do it, but you'll end up paying a LOT of cash.  T5 components are uncommon, so they are pricey.