New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

%^!@# duckweed

Started by jgolden, January 16, 2006, 10:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishBuddy

darkdep, if you have duckweed that you would like to get rid of, I can take it off from you.... :-)   My goldfish will certainly love this feast!!!!   I bought a bag of this stuff during the Nov meeting and it was completely gone in 4 days....!!!!  Now, not a single duckweed left to be found in my goldfish tank....  How sad....

Yes, my goldfishes ate other plants as well except the Java Fern and Java Moss....  Well, I have seen one of them actually ate a strand of Java Moss the other day; must be desperate....  And yessssss, I do feed them twice a day :-)

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

damarech

Quote from: "PaleoFishGirl"You're going to put a goldfish in a tropical tank? I thought that was a big no-no.

Goldfish need to be in cooler water , well below 77 F or they will suffer brain damage.They will come to the top of tank and gulp air when they get to hot.

squeeker

QuoteGoldfish need to be in cooler water , well below 77 F or they will suffer brain damage.They will come to the top of tank and gulp air when they get to hot.

Actually, this is not exactly what happens.  As the water temperature rises, less oxygen is able to be dissolved in water.  Because goldfish are big and thick-bodied, they require more oxygen than tropicals.

An easy way to remedy this is by providing lots of surface agitation, which is what oxygenates water.  

Because I don't have air conditioning in my house, my 77 gallon goldfish tank is consistently 85F or above during the summer.  I am able to keep my goldies alive and quite comfortable at this temperature because I have a 4-foot bubble wall, an AC 70, and a Fluval 404 with its output pointed at the surface.  No brain damage here!