New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"Grasslike" plants?

Started by darkdep, February 06, 2006, 12:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

I'm still a real n00b when it comes to plants.  I've seen some amazing planted tanks that look like grass is covering the bottom of the tank.  I'd really like to try and do that.

Could anyone recommend a plant or two that could produce such an effect?  Even better, could anyone recommend a plant that's actually available locally somewhere so I can get some? :lol:

BigDaddy

You should have bought some of the E. tellenus I was selling at the auction.

Echinodorus tellenus (narrow leaf chain sword) is one.  Dwarf hairgrass is another.  Riccia... well if you are into high maintenance, then give it a try... but you have to tie it down

darkdep

Actually, thanks to Quatro, I did get a piece of chain sword...I like it, but it's a bit tall for what I'm thinking.

Dwarf Hairgrass is a possibility...can you buy that at any of the LFS's?  I'm considering a complete redo of my planted tank before the Apistos get here...which means I gotta do it fast.

apistome

Enrico, aka Toss, may still have some Riccia, he had some last week. I got some from him. It Looks like a lush lawn when tied down to the substrate.

see link

http://www.aquabotanic.com/images/ricwd.jpg

Quatro

darkdep,

I know how much you like Java Moss.  Just tie it to a piece of slate and you have instant lawn.   :lol:

I picked up some riccia from Toss and he was nice enough to give me some extra.  When the Spencer Jack order comes in (I assume you haven't spent all our money on coconuts) I can bring you some to try out.

Mike S

jgolden

Yep. Check out this link http://www.floridadriftwood.com/plantinfo/riccia_attach.htm on using using different anchoring scaffolds for Riccia, including java moss.

Aiglos

Im looking for Dwarf hairgrass aswell if you see it in a store please post where you found it.

thanks

gvv

I have some dwarf Echinodorus that is max 2" high, it is much thinner than dwarf sag (with leaves about 2mm thick), but the problem is that you need a lot of it to have this "grass" view and I should say it is not fast growing plant.
Also I can suggest to look at dwarf sag.

Regards

Toss

I got these in my 25gal. The lawn need some trimming to keep them flat. I use hairnet on the lawn and on driftwood. I add some java fern lace on the wood also.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

darkdep

That is BEAUTIFUL, Toss!  That's exactly the look I was going for.  Riccia...Did you grow this stuff out or did you buy it somewhere?

Hairnet, as in, a real hairnet?

Toss

Chris, I grow them. The initial batch came from Singapore order that SP Barrhaven placed for me a while back. I also have the smaller kind, thanks to jetstream (they call it dwarf riccia), but I don't have enough yet.
Yes, it is just plain cheap hairnet. :wink:
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

darkdep

Cool...I should have tons of hairnets around the house (rockgarden, control yourself) as I have daughters who are both in dance classes.  

Thanks for all the help folks, think I'm gonna try and find me some riccia :)

gvv

I have two plants that came to me under the same name - Echinodorus tellenus, but they are completly different.
One (white circle) has wider meaty leaves, while the other one (black circle) is more like grass - narrow leaves and depending on light can be either low or high (up to 10cm).

darkdep

I really like the stuff in the black circle...