New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant Growing

Started by pminister, June 05, 2010, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pminister

I need some help on this, and not sure if it is the correct way of growing plants on the side. I want to experiment with the idea of growing different types of plants, using my spare 5-10G tank.

Now say I have the following setup:
5-10G tank
no heater
no filter
diy co2
different light intensities based on plant been grown
tap water treated with (decholrinator)

Steps to be taken on weekly basis:
fertilize as needed
20% water change.

Now I plan on experimenting first to see if it works first. But i have the following concerns as stated below:

1. Would the plants grow with diyCo2+fertilizing+lights Even if the tank isnt cycled?

2. Similar question as above but with the idea of having still water since I wont have a filter and second with no heater ? primarily it be room temperature but most likely i know water gets pretty cold even in room temperature.

P.S. I am aware of the regular methods of growing plants, in a cycled environment and other care. Just curious if it is possible under the above conditions...

dan2x38

It depends on what plants you want to grow? Keep in mind growing plants in a small tank the WPG rule of thumb does not hold true. You need a lot of light. Room temp is approx. 68*f - 70*f not all aquatic plants will thrive at that temp. You should have water movement so teh stems do not rot and ferts are circulated along with CO2. The tank water needs to gas off. Yes you can grow plants in an uncycled tank.

You'd be better off with a 20g - 25g with med. lighting, good substrate, small filter and heater. Al lof those parts and pieces are not very expensive. Post LF in classifieds for used bits ya all need.

Hope this helps?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."