New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate and Africans

Started by PuddleDuck, February 24, 2007, 09:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuddleDuck

Setting up an African tank again Sunday- I haven't had one in a few years. When I had mine then I used crushed coral to keep the PH up. Where I live now the ph is b/w 8-8.3 anyway, so Im wondering if there are other advantages of using the coral for this new setup?

Thanks guys!

sniggir

It will also help to keep you KH stable to...not 100% on that but i think I remenber somthing about that
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

kennyman

Once your PH rises into the high 7's crushed shells stop buffering and so will not bring you beyond that level. However substrates containing aragonite will help maintain a buffer that keeps PH above 8. But if your water has a good gh and ph then I dont see what either substrate is going to do since you are maintaining water quality through water changes anyway.