New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Noisy impeller?

Started by Adam, October 25, 2006, 11:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Don't replace, repair.  I emailed Hagen, and the solution they gave to me was to put it in either CLR or white vinegar to get rid of mineral deposits and get it running smoothly.  I haven't tested it, but it seems like the theory works.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

fishycanuck

Seems to  me, the base of the impeller has some sort of lubricant on it - or is it just fish slime? Would you have to cover the base, or re-lubricate it somehow?

adam_ottawa

I don't know if I would want to use CLR on an impeller.  The packaging for CLR displays a big corrosive symbol.  That can't be good for the fish; although, apparently it's alright for coffee pots and faucet screens.  :P

bitterman

Plain old vinager will do the same thing as CLR only at a slower rate. Alot of people say it is fish safe (needs to be rinced will after using, as does CLR).

There was a post a while ago about using a small amount of vasoline on the impeller shaft to quiet things down.

Bruce

kennyman

I wish it was that easy. I have to replace impellers in my hob's due to the metal shaft they rotate on wearing causing the impeller to rattle. I wish I could get the shafts but instead I am forced to buy a whole new impeller assembly for apx 1/2 the value of the entire filter each time it happens  >:(

fishycanuck

Kennyman, that's what I was faced with. In the end, I bought a good used one at auction.
Sux.