New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Source for high kelvin fluorescent tubes/compact fluorescents

Started by Adam, November 22, 2006, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Since the hagen glo series aquarium lights are ~40 dollars for a 48 inch tube, I'm looking for high kelvin rating ~10000K or higher fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescents from another cheaper source.  Does anyone know of anywhere to get these?  I know the CFs are generally not too easy to find in that kelvin rating, if they exist at all, so I would be willing to settle for something 6500K and up.  I have 2 23W CFs and I don't really know the kelvin rating, but it's pretty yellow.  I want white/blue lighting.  Thanks.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

babblefish1960

Check with the local commercial locations, such as Buchanan or Litemor, what they may not have in stoock, they can certainly order. I believe AC and Marinescape both may well be good sources too.

rockgarden

You can get 6500K Daylight Deluxe T8's at Home Depot now since they are beginning to stock T8's as open shelf item - translate - much better pricing - less than $5 per bulb.

You can get T8's from Buchanan's in a variety of ratings and they will special order. Buchanan's also carries T5s in regular and HO but didn't have any high Kelvin in stock when I was there yesterday.

I just picked up some T5s (54 watt HO) from Ivan at Aquaria Canada today: http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/default.php?cPath=1_74_89_96

Marinescape carries a variety of tubes. When they didn't have what I wanted in stock one day, they special ordered and the bulbs arrived soon after at competitive price but definitely more than $5 per bulb but less than BA price at the time.

Ron

BigDaddy

Another good source for relatively affordable CF lights is AH Supply in Rochester.  Even with shipping, if you are planning on stocking up on bulbs, they have a pretty good selection