New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to find CO2 in Ottawa

Started by Adam, February 05, 2007, 01:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I'm looking for parts to put together a pressurized CO2 system.  A tank (10lbs good enough for 75 gallon?), and all the other little gadgets I would require.  It would be for the single aquarium.

To all the other green-thumbed aquatic horticulturalists:

Where did you get your supplies?  What was the approximate cost?

Thanks.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Quatro

You can get the CO2 tank from Davidson Fire Extinguishers.  About $140 for a 10lb tank (price from about a year ago).

http://www.davidsonfireextinguishers.ca/index.htm/

Mike S

BigDaddy

Regulators & needlevalves... there is a Clippard dealer here.. but usually they have to special order the parts 30 days ahead...

speckledmind

About $140 for a 10lb tank (price from about a year ago)

Out of curriossity.
How long does a " 10 lb-$140.oo Co2 tank " last in a planted 75 Gal. tank ?

BigDaddy

Depends on how much CO2 you are pumping in.. which also depends on how high or how low your kH is

charlie

I use Milwaukee regulators , not the greatest but it gets the job done, can be picked up @ Marinescape on Carling & Aquaria Canada, but cheaper on line, as mentioned earlier co2 bottle &gas from Davidsons.
Regards
PS here is a good deal

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9935&N=2004+113779

Adam

That is a good deal.  Would I need a needle valve in addition to it?  Anything other than the tank?  Thanks.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

alacroix

You will find CO2 cylinders at Pyromateck (fire extinguisher...) in Gatineau at 819-568-2096.  The cylinders are used.  The store will service them, re-certify and fill them.  5 pounds for $75.  and 10 pounds for $90.  And, they will repaint it silver if you want.

BigDaddy

I didn't think the Doctors shipped to Canada.....

fishycanuck

Plenty of CO2 on Parliament Hill    :D

charlie

Quote from: alacroix on February 06, 2007, 04:17:26 PM
You will find CO2 cylinders at Pyromateck (fire extinguisher...) in Gatineau at 819-568-2096.  The cylinders are used.  The store will service them, re-certify and fill them.  5 pounds for $75.  and 10 pounds for $90.  And, they will repaint it silver if you want.
That is a great price compared to Davidsons
BD.-The good docotors do ship to Canada on some things, the co2 reg. kit is one they ship.
Adam - all you would need is the gas & bottle
Regards

speckledmind

Back to my initial question, I'm only looking for a general idea.

Since I have never used Co2, I'm looking for somekind of guideline as to what type of expense is involved, if one chooses to go the pressurize Co2 way.

So, with a " 10 lb Co2 tank " in a 75 Gal. Aquarium, consider a very simple planted tank, nothing extravagant, what's the life expectancy of that 10 lb tank, one month, 3 months, 6 months, one year or more ?

Cheers,
Denis

mila

Quote from: speckledmind on February 06, 2007, 09:10:28 PM
Back to my initial question, I'm only looking for a general idea.

So, with a " 10 lb Co2 tank " in a 75 Gal. Aquarium, consider a very simple planted tank, nothing extravagant, what's the life expectancy of that 10 lb tank, one month, 3 months, 6 months, one year or more ?

I'm running 20 lb tank, 2b per second, for 1 1/2 year now and it is still showing same pressure, so 10 lb tank should be OK for at least 1 year, I guess.
Refill is $10-20.

speckledmind

Quote from: Mila on February 06, 2007, 09:46:02 PM
so 10 lb tank should be OK for at least 1 year, I guess. Refill is $10-20..

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
So once the system has been purchased, running it is not that expensive really.

It sure was scary there for a while with the " 10 lb-$140.oo Co2 tank "  :'(
Fish keeping is an expensive hobby, but at some point, one has to draw the line somewhere.
So the bulk of that price shown above was the purchase of the tank and the first fill.

babblefish1960

Make no mistake, good regulators are very expensive too, as can be the rest of the components. ADA diffusers are very pricey, bubble counters too. There are also many different ways of introducing CO2 into the tank, and there is no problem or tank so big you can't hook up CO2, so long as you throw enough money at it.

Adam

Question:

What about the dangers of pressurized CO2?  Having a pressurized cylinder rocket go flying through my walls (or me) if it drops and cracks or the top breaks off (especially a refurbished one) isn't exactly what I want to happen.  What about the legal side?  Am I allowed to have it in an apartment?  Wouldn't I need a special harness system for it?  Thanks.

Adam

Adam

I got a regulator today, as well as a needle valve...free.  Does anyone have any information about the dangers of these tanks and if they are allowed in apartments?

Adam