New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mag-float algae magnet

Started by Adam, March 21, 2007, 09:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Anyone have these?  How good a job do they do?  Do they get sand stuck in them and scuff up the glass?  Are they worth it?  And does anyone have some new ones on this site?  Thanks.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

normc

I have one I use in my tall tank, I don't go into the substrate just in case it picks up some grit. In the past I have had one pick some ferrite? from the bottom.

Adam

Does it do a good job?  What about for hard to get algae like green spot algae or tuft algae?

Basically, keep it away from the substrate and it should be ok? 

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

normc

Does a good job gets green spot if you go over it a few times. Never had tuft algae in the area I use it on. I don use it like it comes. The scraping side is Velcro I buy some nylon scouring pads and cut a piece to fit when it gets worn out I replace it. The pads are 1/4 inch thick and you get 25 per pack. Read instruction on pack some colour are more suited to glass than others (white yellow).

redbelly

Mag floats are great for cleaning the glass. I do clean right down to the gravel and have never had it pick anything up in my fw tank. If you have tuff algae you should try the razor blade attachment. One swipe and the glass is perfectly clean.

Adam

Redbelly,

Do you know where I can get a magfloat up to 5/8" glass and the razorblade attachment?  I'd prefer to sponsor an independent retailer rather than the large chains.

Adam

beowulf

I love mine does a great job.

BigDaddy

A mag float will scrape off bad green spot algae... sometimes you have to do a couple of passes, but it does get the job done.

groan

Quote from: Adam on March 22, 2007, 12:33:40 AM
Redbelly,

Do you know where I can get a magfloat up to 5/8" glass and the razorblade attachment?  I'd prefer to sponsor an independent retailer rather than the large chains.

Adam

you can get a blade attachment for them!? i want!!!

groan

i found this site...
http://www.easybladeusa.com/index.html
but i dont have one of those big blocky mag floats...jsut the narrower one.

Adam

succinctfish

redbelly was selling the razorblade attachment, I don't know if he still has some, but here is the original thread:

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=14310.0