New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Spot Feeder (Freeze Fried, Dry, Pellet)

Started by Adam.Derome, November 26, 2007, 03:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam.Derome

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the saltwater aquarium world. In fact, I've just added my first two fish, and my first coral. One thing that I'm trying to do is to get specimens that don't require spot feeding. Why? Because it's annoying!

That got me thinking. If I could make some kind of long syringe-like applicator that would reach to the bottom of my tank, then maybe... It could open up the possibility for a lot of other different species for me to keep without going overboard with constant husbandry.

Does anyone have any ideas? In terms of construction and features.

I've got a vague idea in mind, something in volving a 3/4" piece of clear acrylic, and another solid acrylic tube that slides down the outer piece. That would act like a large syringe that could be controller without putting either hand in the water. The only problem is getting foods to stay in the bottom section when tipping it upside down to put in the tank.

What is everyone else doing in terms of spot feeding? I have a blood shrimp that seems to get a tad aggressive with my clownfish, and if I bring some dried plankton to him, he seems to calm down. I can't do that every day though.

darkdep

babblefish1960

I believe you are correct DarkDep, that is what I recall FishPassion and Rockgarden advising for just such a situation.

sniggir

yup a very fancy turkey basterer, but if you want to spend some cash Al's has an expensive one with a lot longer reach on it.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Severum

I got about 12" stainless steel forceps from Al's. Not bad but with a 2 foot deep tank I'm still wet up to my elbows...
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

beowulf

Indeed I have a turkey baster that is not used for turkeys!!!  :D