New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Nano chiller using Peltier

Started by Cris6238, May 11, 2008, 12:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cris6238

Hi!

Fanless hood + power compact bulbs = 83.5 F degrees temp in my nano  :o

So I've decided to build a chiller that can bring that down....It used to be at 80 with a closed hood, now its at 83.5 with the lid of the hood open  :-\

As you can tell from the pictures below, I have:

- a white peltier (able to pump ~375W)... I don't plan on putting that much power in it so mine should move less... (ebay.. ~25$ shipped)

- Gold colored large heatsink from an old PII 350mhz socket processor (0$  :) )

- Aluminum moulded "project" box (ebay, ~15$... or something like that)

I hope to sandwich them as in the last picture but have yet to deal with 3 problems:

- Power supply (ignore the last image, that power adaptor has too high a voltage and too low a current for the peltier)
- Temperature control for power supply
- Not allowing the saltwater to come in direct contact with aluminum "cold side"

Here is a nifty temperature control for a fan that I've stumbled upon.... this can be used by all of you who have fan-cooled canopies to save you the hassle of regulating when your fans should be on...unless you've already done this :P

http://www.heatsink.info/content.php?content=control.shtml  :)

I figured that I can attempt to use that to regulate the peltier... Anyone here an electrical engineer or at least have knowledge about power supplies, etc??

I am open to all suggestions and comments!

Happy reefing!

[attachment deleted by admin]