New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Google Sketchup 3D - A Demonstration for Tank Stand Construction and Planning

Started by Adam.Derome, August 29, 2008, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam.Derome

Hello fellow OVAS members,

I love seeing all the "XXX Gallons Build" and "XX Gallon Basement Build" and all the different DIY stand designs, etc. etc.

So - today I present a few diagrams I've made in Google Sketchup. For those of you who aren't aware, it's a 3d drafting program that is VERY intuitive to use (If you've used CAD before, forget everything you know - Google Sketchup has it's own way of doing things) especially for beginners.

I've used Sketchup for my past two builds, able to design everything from the room layout, stand design, and even plumbing - and pull accurate measurements from the diagram as well. It's worked very well, and it's allowed me to see some design flaws BEFORE I've gone and purchased all the materials :)

So here are a few diagrams, in no particular order (Well.. the first dozen are in order, the other diagrams are from other attempts). I just wanted to show them off a 'lil to show you all what it's capable of. It's free! Look it up!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Adam.Derome

Adam.Derome

groupie02

really nice sketches... I need to get working on my own stand design.

Adam.Derome

Just some tips for those of you who might be trying google sketchup for the first time:

- Always remember to group your item after you've built it
     (ie. draw rectangle, pull it into 3d, and then triple-click, right-click, group)
- This way you'll be able to pull individual components from your sketch

- If you have an item that is used more than once (ie. a 70" 2x4) make it a COMPONENT
- This way when you change the dimension of ONE of the items, it makes the change to all of them
     (This was really useful the 3rd, 4th time I used Sketchup. ie. I made a stand 65", then didn't like it. But instead of
       having to virtually disassemble the whole thing, I stretched ONE of the 65" beams, and it changed them all)