New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ro/Di Question

Started by 5620, April 04, 2009, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purchased a ro/di unit and have had it running only 20 gal worth of water and the DI membrane keeps going gold have checked the hookup everything is the way it supposed to. I am on well water and running a water softner for whole house. Sure don't understand the problem. Any help trying to figure it out or suggestions of what is going wrong.

Funkmotor

Do you mean the DI resin is going gold?  Mine was brown/gold the first time I used it so I'm not sure there should be a problem.  Usually colour-change pellets will change to purple as they become exhausted.

The first thing you need to worry about if you're running off a well is if your water pressure is high enough.  You should have 60psi or more to your unit, and odds are that you don't.  For that, you can get a booster pump.

All that's going to do is make sure you're not wasting too much water, though.

Do you have a TDS meter to measure the quality of your RO/DI water?  If you do, and it reads zero or close to it, you're doing well.  If you don't have a TDS meter, you should seriously consider getting one.

Hope that helps.

KLKelly

Hmmmm I have nasty well water.  And miserable pressure.  My DI resin isn't gold though but I do notice a tiny amount discolouring.  I'll google that.

I use a softener also.  I also bought a booster pump (aquatech 8800 with auto off switch off ebay).  I'm getting 40psi with it and only 20 gallons in a 24 hour period.  TDS is 0 though.

I also had to put a sediment prefilter in before the booster pump to save the booster pump from mechanical trouble.

My well water has sediment, sulpher, iron bacteria, iron, ammonia and lots of organics that get converted to nitrates in my freshwater tank.  I haven't risked using the RO water for our small sw tank yet.  I'm still buying culligan water for it.

KLKelly

Huh cool - they sell colour changing DI resin that changes colour as its exhausted.

Example: "Anion DI resin. This is a bulk bag of color changing Anion DI resin. Five pounds of color changing Anion resin for use in DI applications. If you have a single DI stage you require mixed bed DI resin.

Note photo color is off resin is in black and changes to light rust color as it exhausts."

Funkmotor

I've got a 75 GPD RO/DI running off they city supply.  I'm in an older house, and my pressure is only 40psi.  It takes about a day to fill up my 20 gallon garbage can again.  So it's about the same.

Sounds like you've got really nasty water there, though.