New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Acrylic Tank vs Glass Tank

Started by 4thhorseman, April 19, 2009, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4thhorseman

Hello all
I am looking at starting a 180ish gallon cichlid tank. What are pros-cons of going acrylic vs glass tank. Also anyone know where I can get a tank for a metal stand 72 x 24?? Are there any acrylic tank dealers in Ottawa area? :D

Fishnut

Acrylic scratches VERY easily.  You can't even use the usual algae scrubbing pads on them because the tank will get micro scratches in parches, eventually giving the walls a "cloudy" appearance.

I'm sorry, I don't know answers to the other questions you had.

jimskoi

Acrylic is very light and yes it does scratch easy.If you are careful with it.You will have no problem.You can actually wipe of the algae with a rag.
You can still use mag floats on them.They have them for acrylic.You just can not use razor blades.Credit cards work.

They are alot easier to work with,carry and they seek clearer than the glass.They do cost more than a 180.I just sold 2-180 gals with 2-100gal sumps for $2100.

Plum

Acrylic is great especially once working with tanks 180+ and over. Very easy to work with and simple to move with minimal man power.

The scratching item I think is over rated.... though I keep my tanks in the basement, and don't have children.

4thhorseman

Thanks for the advice. Any idea where in Ottawa or surrounding area acrylic tanks 180ish can be purchased or made?
thanks
Costa

audioslave_36

call Mike or Roch at Plas-Tech in Stitsville  613-831-4640 great guys who do awesome work.