New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

RO/DI plumbing

Started by Adam, May 11, 2009, 03:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/p497/Angle-Stop-Adaptor-Valve/product_info.html

I need something like this for my RO/DI unit to go under a sink to tie into the existing plumbing.  Unfortunately, the $9 piece has a $50 shipping fee to Canada.  Generally opposed to spending 5x more on shipping than the item, I must ask: Where can I find something like this in Canada, preferably in Ottawa?
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

bitterman

I went to home depot and got a brass piece that goes between the screw on connector off the cold water coper and the flexable feed to the cold water tap. Was about $5

Its 3/8" on 2 sides and 1/4" compression for the feed to RODI unit. part # BPAV-664

Bruce

Hookup

UM, brass is a mix of copper and tin?  either way, brass and salt-water = dead corals...   It sounds like you have this on the input-side of your RO/DI so likely the heavy metals are getting removed... but I think yer flirting with fire...

Adam

Most older house water supplies are copper pipes.  I've used tapwater in my tanks and haven't killed my corals.  Although it runs through the copper, I don't think that it is dissolved or transported in the water to any large degree.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

bitterman

All the pipes in my house are copper and most houses till recently.Newer houses are going pex again now they have fixed the issues. I'm sure there are more heavy  metals in my well water or pipes in the house then whats picked up from that fitting before the RODI unit.

In an ideal world the one linked to would be great but even the purely h20 piercing  saddle used for a lot of installs of RODI units contains brass....

http://www.purelyh2o.com/catalog/Drinking-water-add-on-kit-p-16136.html

When I find a plastic one locally I plan to replace it.

Bruce

Tyler.L

copper like that will not leech into your water regardless....trust me, look at colonies you get from places its got rust on the plugs....and people havent lost there tanks from that....im also 1st year apprentice as a plumber, no leeching whatsoever if it does its so minimal it doesnt exist

Malyon18

I'm a civil tech soon to be civil engineer and all new water connections we do from the main to the property line are all copper connections, so even before it hits your house it has run through copper, unless you have an old galvanized line.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

Stussi613

this is probably a stupid question, but has anyone checked the electrical and plumbing store?  if they don't have it in stock they can usually order it...and if they can't get it nobody has it.  I used to work at Buchanan Lighting (many, many years ago) and they were the only other place in town that could get their hands on just about anything in their field.
I haz reef tanks.