New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to buy filter socks in Ottawa ?

Started by mikerobart, March 09, 2010, 10:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerobart

I have found some great deals online (filterbags.com), but want to look locally first for filter socks... ideally I'd like a range of sizes... 25 to 200 micron...or at least a bunch of 100's. Seems like not all the LFS's have them, which I found surprising.

Ideally they would have the plastic rings or some way to mount them, would be say 4" x 12" or longer. Also, if anyone has seen the mounts that clip on the side of the sump to hold them in place that would be great.

lost_at_sea

you can get ones that have plastic rim's with a piece of plastic that indents (sorta) that holds the filter socks in place too. I have 3 of them and they work great.

mikerobart

Yeah I am thinking of something like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Berlin_Sump_4_Inch_Acrylic_Sock_Holder_Mount_Aquarium_Sumps_Accessories-Berlin_Sump-BS1121-FIFRBSAC-vi.html

I'd like to use filter socks and change them frequently so an easy way to remove and hang them is important.

Where do I find them in Ottawa...

lost_at_sea

Hmmm never used that before... I just have 3 of these:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Berlin_Sump_Filter_Sock_Aquarium_Sump_Replacement_Parts-Berlin_Sump-BS1123-FIFRBSRP-vi.html

pop them over the drain pipe and switch every 3-4 days or when it starts to overflow.... then pop it in the washing machine  on hot and let dry.

pretty simple.

Hookup

OttawaInverts stocks and sells these... I'd guess other sponsors do as well.

mikerobart

Thanks, OI was the one place I haven't checked yet ! Believe it or not most of the other spots do not seem to have them.

redbelly

Yup, we have lots of these in stock!

We use them on our system too.

mikerobart

Vincenzo.

mikerobart

Is that the diameter or length ? Mesh sizes are normally like 200 micron, 100 micron, 50, 25 etc. Normally people don't go lower than 100 unless you really want to polish the water like crazy and don't mind changing them out very frequently

groan

groan

allows me to make my filter socks look GOOOOd.