New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My first drilled aquarium and sump.

Started by 1billionsrvd, September 03, 2012, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1billionsrvd

I just recent bought my very first drilled aquarium and my first sump as well. Unfortunately Im not quite sure where to start with setting it up. Until this point I have been using canister filters but I've read that sumps are a lot more efficient filters. Ive done some research into different types of setup's but again Im not sure where to begin. If someone who is experienced in this field could come help me set up, Id be glad to come pick them up or pay for gas and repay the favor. This new tank will become my home's display tank so there is a lot of variables Id like to take into consideration such as the noise of the overflow and such. All the help is very much appreciated, just send me a message or reply here.

Thanks again!

Emerson

Feivel

first important question. seeing its drilled im assuming its salt. but since its benefits of canister filter ....... could be fresh lol. the main thing to remember is that when all your pumps are "OFF" that the amount of water leftover will not overflood your tank. your gonna want a 10x turnover(not sure if this is a salt only guideline but you will want for 30g 300gph, 50g 500gph, 90g 900gph) keep head values in mind (head = height) your going to need a pump that will push the water up 5feet and still keeps a constant flow.size does not matter. a football sized aquaclear pushes half of what a baseball sized mag 9.5 does.

just make sure (and test this) that when the power goes out you dont flood your sump. keep in mind the syphon has to break depending on how the overflow is setup. in one tank i have a box the other i dont. its more the tube of the return pump you have to worry about. it will pull the water down until air is sucked in. might want to drill a tiny hole (not too small it gets clogged amd have to clean it weekly but not too big that it splashed water everywhere.) just below the water line, something like a 1/8" hole

now is it salt or freshwater? salt get a bit more technical. freshwater well .... fill and enjoy lol. you can create you own media filter in the sump using filter flosses carbons in hob 10g filterboxes. you will want phosphates(saltwater you dont want) so no need for gfo. (granular ferritic oxide) absorbs phosphates, you can throw your heater down there. make a scrub pad for algae favored growth (small mesh plastic slit into a abs tube and water trickles down it. the light grows the algae in the sump instead of the tank) there are tons of ides for this type of stuff

Feivel

look in the for sale section. theres a good idea on a basic sump setup. the filtersock to cathc the big stuff. i dont have the right return pump. but you can see the box on  the right side. the heater is in the sump. freshly setup. the old coraline is starting to fall off. it was sooooo hard to clean dry lol.

sylros

Hi,

What an exciting project, do you know what type of tank it will be - salt or freshwater? Knowing this might determine who can help you.

bitterman

First a Few questions:
1) Salt Water or Fresh Water?
2) Does the main tank have 2 overflows or one?
3) What does the sump look like? Partitions?
4) Lighting setup... you need to take overflow dimensions into consideration as they can block lights.
5) What size is you return pump?

I can keep asking questions. I have both SW and FW sumped setups.

Bruce

1billionsrvd

Thanks Feivel for all the information, and everyone about the inquiries. Sorry I didnt provide more info about the tank. It its going to be a freshwater tank for my cichlids. The tank is only drilled in one side which i presume is the main overflow unless I add a hangback overflow which Ive researched as well. The sump is fairly large with many partitions for different media I believe but unsure which media I would have to get. Im a little more concerned about the overflow design rather than the lighting setup because I will be building a glass canopy with fiberglass to accommodate the lighting setup after the overflow is made. The dimension of the tank is 60" x 18" x 26" which i believe is a 120 gallon tank. The overflow hole is located approximately 21" from base. I understand the building concept of the overflow to the sump and return but I have no idea where to get these materials such as a bulkhead, the tubing/pipes to attach from the bulkhead to the sump and return pipe/tube from the pump. Im not sure how powerful (in GPH) of a pump and which brand/type to go with for the tank and cichlids can be quite messy in their wastes. Im also unsure of what media to get for the sump as well as all the little details such as power outage failure, tips on sump maintenance and such.

Thank you everyone for all the help as it is very much appreciated, I love this hobby and would love to learn more about it day by day.

Emerson

Feivel

Well return flow, for salt tank, is abput 10x turnover of  your volume. So 30g = 300gph 120g = 1200gph. The return, pump will loose head pressure as the height gains. Elbows will also have adverse effects. As for flood safety. Fill it with water and run your pumps and make sure everything is on and running. Now turn off anything that can contain or flow the water. Now your reactors/ filters will drain and settle. At this point top up your water to whatever you deem as a safe level. (i have mine to approx the plastic rim on sump. Pretty dangerously high but my hob skimmer needs the height. Now turn everything back on and sharpy mark that waterline and make sure no matter what you never ever evrer ever put more water than that line or else you know it will be asking for a flood on power outages.:-)     also you can drill a small tine hole (about 1/8} just below the water line so it breaks the syphon and you dont suck 15 gallons of water to your sump.   If your drilled dont bpther with hob overflow. Ill post some pics later of what a bulkhead looks like and what it is and its functions.

Cheers

Marx

Well the 10x turnover rate is just a old wives tale...

Saltwater you want to match your return pump to your skimmer. so you get the most out of your sump. slower is better.. or else whats the point of pouring dirty water in and then pulling it out to your tank without a proper cleaning.

most of us now use power heads to get the appropriate flow our tanks need.

for excample. my sump has a nac 6 with a 625gph pump. my return pump is ecco 663gph pump. i even split into two different tanks so the im using about 400gph total. the skimmer is going to overskimmer the water before returning it to tank. which provide superior airation and polishing. Even my Carbon and Bio pellets get to do their thing before the return.