New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cleaning aquarium equipment

Started by AdamR, November 14, 2005, 01:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamR

Once I get rid of the fish I want to give my tank, filters... a good clean.  I have seen in a previous thread to use hot water and bleach.

Is this normal household bleach?  How much do I use?

Is there anything that is safer?  Better?

Thanks
Adam

artw

Bleach is awfully harsh,  I would just use vinegar and water, and let everything dry for a few days.

darkdep

If you want to use bleach, you can use almost any ratio you want...1:10 is enough.  Just make sure to rinse like heck and let dry.

But, personally, I just use water and a rough sponge.  Vinegar and water as art suggested is great for any harder spots.  Bleach works, but is not necessary.

Nelson

I also agree with Art, but I take it further.  Warm water and scrubbing with a course plastic sponge and razor blade as required.  I can't get comfortable using chemicals that haven't been expressly produced for use in an aquarium.  To each his/her own I guess :wink:

BigDaddy

I have used a 4:1 water to bleach ratio on tanks that I wanted to make sure were completely sterile.

A very good rinse and a quad dose of dechlor... and the tanks have been fine.

sarahbella

Bleach is chlorine and oxygen and once diluted it breaks down quickly. Chlorine and water evaporate and whats left is mainly salt.  

Thorougly dried and rinsed should cause no problems.  I have used it before with no ill effects.

damarech

Bleach will  sterilize  your tank . You don't need much , a cap full to a litre of water is more than enough . Any more is just over kill . Also sun light will help to  evaporate the clorine.

Mettle

Quote from: "sarahbella"Bleach is chlorine and oxygen and once diluted it breaks down quickly. Chlorine and water evaporate and whats left is mainly salt.

I did not know this. Now I'm going to have to be a geek and go look up some chemistry stuff. Gee, thanks.  :roll:

EDIT TO ADD: Found something. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite

sarahbella

Quote from: "Mettle"
Quote from: "sarahbella"Bleach is chlorine and oxygen and once diluted it breaks down quickly. Chlorine and water evaporate and whats left is mainly salt.

I did not know this. Now I'm going to have to be a geek and go look up some chemistry stuff. Gee, thanks.  :roll:

EDIT TO ADD: Found something. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite

Thats why they call it chlorox ;)