New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

RO/DI replacement filters locally?

Started by AdamN, January 26, 2014, 11:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamN

Hello, I am just getting back into this hobby after a 5 year break. (Reeftanks) ... and for the life of me, cannot find replacement filters anywhere for my RO/DI unit.
It is a 5 stage Purely H2O Optima vision series. As the filters and membrane have never been changed, I am going to replace all of them.

Does anyone know where I can find them Locally? e bay is way too expensive, Amazon has 3 of the 4 filters for $88 (cheaper than e bay), but no membrane. Or, am I just better off to buy a whole new unit? Thanks in advance.

JetJumper

If you are to the point of replacing ALL filters including membrane it might be cheaper to potentially buy a new unit. 

I normally got filters / RO/DI from Ray when my tank was running
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Stussi613

I bought a 100gpd Vertex with a booster pump that gets 1:1 efficiency of RO to waste water...Best investment I've made.
I haz reef tanks.

AdamN

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 26, 2014, 02:28:25 PM
I bought a 100gpd Vertex with a booster pump that gets 1:1 efficiency of RO to waste water...Best investment I've made.

Can this be purchased locally? How much was it? Thanks

Stussi613

Quote from: AdamN on January 26, 2014, 07:10:02 PM
Can this be purchased locally? How much was it? Thanks

Most saltwater shops carry them...I'd have to look it up for you.
I haz reef tanks.

AdamN

Thanks for the replies guys, i found some.

Parisiot

Quote from: AdamN on January 27, 2014, 10:02:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i found some.

what'd you find out of curiosity?

AdamN

Quote from: Parisiot on February 24, 2014, 11:02:31 PM
what'd you find out of curiosity?

Turns out that searching ebay for "ro filters" was a bad idea lol. So I searched amazon, found some, but it was expensive, so I copy/pasted the desc from amazon into ebay and found a whole set, all filters I need, membrane included for $49US. I really don't get why the local shops do not carry them.

ray

All replacement filters and membranes in stock,thanks

ray

Stussi613

Quote from: ray on February 25, 2014, 11:16:35 AM
All replacement filters and membranes in stock,thanks

ray

Ray,

Please revisit the forum rules in regards to sponsors:

Section 5 – Sponsor Posting

Part of our forum has been setup as a place to allow local stores who support the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society to have a place of their own to post their store specials, social events, hours of business or anything else related to their business. It is yet another way OVAS shows its support of our local and area retailers.

1. Any OVAS sponsor sale, affiliated event or social gathering at their place of business (or private residence) may only be promoted in their specific board.

2. Members who wish to discuss any event, sale or social gathering that is being hosted by an OVAS Sponsor must post any relating discussions in that sponsor's specific board.

3. No OVAS Sponsor may post the availability of any product or service they provide in ANY board on this forum other than in their own specific board.

4. Sponsors may post in general discussion boards to share their experiences where relevant. However, such posts shall not constitute an advertisement for a product in any form.

Any question or topic directed towards a forum sponsor by any user of the forum shall be posted in the appropriate sponsors board.
I haz reef tanks.

Salt

Philnashbass

Definitely off the topic here, but I would think proper decorum regarding the instructing of advertisers as to community policy should be done with a PM. 'Just sayin'.   
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

AdamN

Spectrapure is very expensive, are you actually gaining anything in paying that much for RO filters? Aside from the membrane which is also expensive, i would think sediment filters and carbon filters are pretty much all the same? Also, where can you purchase them locally?

Stussi613

Quote from: Philnashbass on February 25, 2014, 04:28:42 PM
Definitely off the topic here, but I would think proper decorum regarding the instructing of advertisers as to community policy should be done with a PM. 'Just sayin'.   

Thanks for your advice.  I'll take it into consideration while I review all the PM's sent to Ray asking  him to stop breaking the rules that have been ignored.  'Just sayin'.
I haz reef tanks.

Salt

QuoteSpectrapure is very expensive, are you actually gaining anything in paying that much for RO filters? Aside from the membrane which is also expensive, i would think sediment filters and carbon filters are pretty much all the same? Also, where can you purchase them locally?

Hey AdamN I have lucked out with Spectrapure and made nice with the family.  I tend to oreder from them on American holidays when they have blow outs and they have often thrown in  extras for free, but you are right pricey....

I guess the money I save on other items-lights, pumps and skimmer I waste on RODI filtration : ( oh well