New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Intro - Apisto Babies

Started by Neil, September 09, 2021, 01:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Hi, I just joined OVAS, I've been keeping fish for only a year or two but I've gotten way too absorbed with it and have several tanks now.  ;D
My favorites are African cichlids, apistos and corydoras.
My apisto "viejeta" pair had babies in march and now they're growing up, and I had to upgrade their grow-out tank since they are getting so big.  The new tank still has clear water and not even substrate yet but that was at least good for photographing them.  I don't know how much longer I have left before they start being territorial with each other, but so far they are all friendly with each other and even swim as a school sometimes.  I'll be adding more plants and black sand soon, and tannins for the water. 

tanksalot360

Hey Neil,
Welcome! And thanks for joining!
Looks like you've got your hands full with those apistos - I hope to have some success with some A. Panduro in the near future.
What are you planning to use for tannins? Driftwood, indian almond leaves?

Neil

Quote from: tanksalot360 on September 27, 2021, 01:10:27 PM
Hey Neil,
Welcome! And thanks for joining!
Looks like you've got your hands full with those apistos - I hope to have some success with some A. Panduro in the near future.
What are you planning to use for tannins? Driftwood, indian almond leaves?

Hi,

Good luck with the panduros! I hope you post pictures.

I used mopani driftwood and Indian almond leaves (and oak leaves) for tannin in their previous tank, and those worked well.  I also tried using some aquarium peat, but that wasn't very effective, and made a big mess.  I'm considering getting some "darkwater extract" product to make it easier to be consistent.
In the picture I had just moved them to a new tank, which was a great opportunity to get a picture of them with clear water.  It's already getting lots of tannins in there now.

Regards,
Neil

Gowalkitoff

Welcome!  I see they love the eucalyptus root!  :)

Neil

Quote from: Gowalkitoff on September 29, 2021, 11:50:27 AM
Welcome!  I see they love the eucalyptus root!  :)
Hi, it's you!  Yes they love the driftwood, and the java fern is doing so well.  Sometimes they even hide in the leaves of the java fern.  It's working out really well even though it takes up half the tank :)