New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yellow Lab and Fry

Started by cichlid lover, October 14, 2006, 06:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cichlid lover

My yellow lab has let go about ten fry but it looks like there are still a couple more in there, its been a couple days now and I am wondering is it safe for the fry to leave the mother in with them or should I remove her? Any help would be appreciated.

darkdep

It's safe to leave the mother with the fry.  The mothers will often take the babies back up into their mouths for protection for many days. 

damarech

When the mother has spit out the last fry and has begone eating again, it is probably a good time to remove her before she sees the fry as food.This may happen if she is stressed .If the fry are free swimming then it safe to remove her.

cichlid lover

I put my female back in the main tank and the males are already trying to breed again, is this ok?

damarech

This is normal.
But the female should have a few weeks to recuporate from not eating for the time she was holding.
They may just be going throught the motions.When female is readyshe will be receptive to the male.If they suceed to breed right a way and you notice she is holding,you  might want to remove her to the fry tank,where she won't be tomented by the other fish.