New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yellow Labs question

Started by xenwarl, March 13, 2008, 03:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenwarl

Hi all, quick question and hopefully quick answer. My setup, I have a 30G that contain 3 yellow lab, 2 albino b/n pleco and another cichlid (the one in my profile picture). The black stipes on one of the lab's dorsal/pelvis/anal fins become really black and sometime it really light, and this is happening to only one of the three lab i have in the tank while the other 2 labs pretty much stay constant. why is this and is this a good thing or a bad thing?

FishBuddy

Very sure this lab with the dark stripes is a dorminant male...  As for the other 2 labs, it's hard to tell without seeing some pictures.  They could be a sub-dorminant male or a female.  BTW, what are the dorsal and anal fins like on the 2 fish?  Are they pointy or round?  If it is round (especially the anal fin), then it is most likely a female...

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

james

Hi
When the male is in heat the black colors on his fins will darken quite a bit.

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

xenwarl

thanks for the info. nice to know, and on that note how do i tell which is a female?

KeepOn

FishBuddy mentioned how in his post above.  Looking a the fins.  If they are all together it is easier.  Your able to compare the fins.  Knowing the darker one is probably a male, watch him swim and see if he will follow his female.  Even when they are small, you can see the male dance a bit beside the female.
Always easier when you have a small group of the same kind.  Many times if their is a dominant male, other males will take the colors of a female.  This way, they won't get themselves in trouble.