New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yay! More babies on the way!

Started by darkdep, December 15, 2005, 10:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Seems I finally solved the green water issues in my 90gal Malawi tank.  Last night was the first night in a while where the water was totally clear.

But, apparantly the fish weren't as stressed about it as I was.  I discovered FOUR holding females last night!  

I quickly re-set up my 10gal fry tank and transferred three of the females over to it.  If things go well, I'm going to get a batch of each of the following within the next little bit:

- Cynotilapia Afra  (who is ready to bust...)
- Otopharanx Lithobates
- Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi

Fingers crossed!

pegasus

darkdep

Today I was rewarded with the O. Lithobates female and the C. Afra female spitting at the same time.  My wife and I watched for about two hours as each female would swim over and spit one out at a time.

They're still not done, and we're up to about 22 fry total so far.

darkdep

Correction:  Now over 60 fry! :shock:

Mettle

Should've used the 20 gallon, huh?  :lol:

darkdep

My wife said the same thing :lol:

darkdep

Woo-Hoo!  The A. Jacobfreibergie just released as well...up to over 100 fry now!

Mettle

Okay. Definitely time to set up that 20 gallon!  :lol:

I guess you should attempt to have green water more often? Seems to be good for the fish! Haha.

Congrats!

darkdep

Actually, it's time to get my permanent breeder tank set up (the one I got from rockgarden).  I'm going to throw together some adjustable dividers so I can use it to continually breed and grow them.

And Yes, the green water seems to be more romantic than barry white...It actually kinda blows my mind that the three of them released on the same day.  Must have been one heck of a romantic evening in that tank 3-4 weeks ago :lol:

This is definetly, hands down, the BEST part of this hobby.

kennyman

I see a website in your future  "darkdeep plzbuymyfish.com"

:D

pegasus

Quote from: "darkdep"Woo-Hoo!  The A. Jacobfreibergie just released as well...up to over 100 fry now!
Keep raising them and that's $150-$200 every 6 weeks, enough for Food and a few breeding & grow-up tanks.  :)

Mettle

Quote from: "pegasus"
Quote from: "darkdep"Woo-Hoo!  The A. Jacobfreibergie just released as well...up to over 100 fry now!
Keep raising them and that's $150-$200 every 6 weeks, enough for Food and a few breeding & grow-up tanks.  :)

Wow. They're worth that much?  :shock:

repeej

And that will make you "in da bizness".   :lol:

pegasus

Quote from: "Mettle"
Quote from: "pegasus"

Wow. They're worth that much?  :shock:
Yes, He still have to grow them a bit (4-5 months for the litho and afra & 6-7 month for the Jake).

darkdep

I am planning on breeding continuously, for sure.

pegasus:  I need to find out some info on your breeding group :)

pegasus

Quote from: "darkdep"I am planning on breeding continuously, for sure.

pegasus:  I need to find out some info on your breeding group :)
Sure, best way is to give me a call. I'll explain all the benefices of the Association... our buying and selling power, the help we are getting from our suppliers, wholesalers and the other members. The group is getting bigger every week and not just from Ottawa.
I had bad experience with two LFS and still suffer from their bad faith. With the Association, your fish will be guarantied to be bought after your hard work of raising them.

darkdep

Awesome, thanks Michel.  I'll give you a call to discuss sometime (can you pm me your #?).  If I don't talk to you over the holidays I'll discuss with you at the next meeting.