New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Medym's 30 gallon

Started by Medym, November 21, 2012, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medym

So I have opted to make a new thread for this because the last one I created was from January!  OK, so I have been crazy slow with making progress with this tank.  I first picked up the tank a year ago over Boxing Day at Big Als.  Who knew life could be so hectic!  Finally over the last couple weeks, I have buckled down to make some serious progress on this tank and get water into it. 

The tank is a 30 gallon, 36Lx12Wx18D, which is drilled in the bottom.  I had started to make a stand, and it was looking great, but it was just so solid I have kept it in the garage since it makes a perfect work surface!

So, I picked up a stand at Big Als which was on sale, cut some holes and ran some plumbing. Voila!

The tank is 30 gallons with a 5 gallon sump.  I made the overflow box and sump myself and plumbed it all (no leaks yet!).  I have cut two panels of acrylic for a lid and thus far very functional.  The lighting is Maxspect Razor 27’’ which is providing fantastic lighting.  Return is being powered through a Mag5 and additional water movement is provided by a Koralia 750 for now. (MP10w soon?)

I am very happy with this tank and I cannot wait to start slowly stocking it over the coming months/years.

To do list:
program timers
install filter sock/lid over sump
clean up wires/wire management
relax

edit: new pictures to come

Medym

I have uploaded a few pictures of the tank to my imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/At1ue/

I have added my clean up crew, clowns and a firefish.

I have also added a few corals to the tank.  Of note is the brain coral which I picked up from Fishtail was already losing the one head.  I doubt I will be able to save what little flesh is left on it.  However the main was is looking nice, plump and happy.

Cheebs

Looking good so far! I really like your little sump setup :)

Stussi613

Where did you get the acrylic for the lid?  I need to make one for a 15g grow out tank under my main tank...
I haz reef tanks.

Medym

Quote from: Stussi613 on December 09, 2012, 02:28:41 PM
Where did you get the acrylic for the lid?  I need to make one for a 15g grow out tank under my main tank...

I got all the acrylic from: http://canusplastics.com/

I got a few pieces from them.  A black chunk for the overflow and a bunch of pieces for the sump and cover.  Go in with measurements and they can cut it all on site for you.

Medym