New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Great Site

Started by PoisonJello, December 22, 2006, 12:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoisonJello

well my name is Jody
I just got a new 65g about 50 days ago (Africans)
I haven't had any fish tanks for the last 10 years my cat would claw out the silicone all the time and well i think you all know what happens after that  :o (no i didn't kill the cat...all the water leaks on the floor) I even had my cat declawed and you would think that would solve the problem (well you would be wrong, she used her teeth instead) anyway my cat is gone now so back to fish (i still have one cat but he doesn't even look at the fish)

this site has been great help and I enjoy reading about others in the area and there fish

this is my tank, i made the stand, haven't made the canopy yet just got the light fixture for it today (T5 fixture still need bulbs)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Adam

Looks good so far.  Try adding some more rocks; those fish love them and can make some of your fish feel better and colour up more.  Stand looks great.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

PoisonJello

ya need to get some more rocks but they are all frozen to the ground at the moment but I actually went and bought some at BA just before i got those 5 fish from you

after looking up the pictures of 2 of my fish on the cichlids forum i realize the LFS sold us the wrong fish....one they told us was a Red Top Zebra, I think is a Protomelas taeniolatus (red)-Super red emperess, the other I believe is a Sciaenochromis fryeri (Lumbaulo)-electric blue, also one unknown but i think it might be a female Cynotilapia afra (Cobue).

I wanted just mbuna community tank but i guess not because my wife likes them so i guess they have to stay...for now

let me know if you think they are something else

[attachment deleted by admin]

artw

Welcome to the board!  Uh oh, another Jody that likes Africans. that makes 3. hehe

RoxyDog

nice pics Jody, wanna come over and take some @ my house?  how DO you people get these great pics of your fish, "sit boy, good fish!"?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

Hard to tell at those sizes...the first one is not a red empress tho.  Red Empress show more blue in the front half of their body.  Maybe a Red Peacock of some kind...but again the angle and size makes it hard.

PoisonJello

well Roxy I would gladly take pics at your house but i think you live in ottawa and i live in cornwall so its an hours drive  :)

thanks for the info DarkDep, I actually hope it isn't a emperess because they grow a bit to big, i was just going by the pics on the cichlid forum, looks a lot like the 2 pics, one called show male and one called red emperess
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1369
guess i will have to wait till there get a little bigger

darkdep

Thing is, Red Empress don't get that colouration until they are much larger.

PoisonJello

oh ya RoxyDog a good camera helps but actually its all in the lighting, even a cheap camera can take good pictures as for taking pictures in a tank i recomend moving your canopy lights close to the front of the tank and also have some good lighting above in front of the tank, also if you need to use the flash on your camera make sure you don't shoot directly at the tank be on a bit of an angle so the flash doesn't glare back to the camera.........it also helps if you can train them to sit  ;D
hope that helps