New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mini Auction changes

Started by artw, November 15, 2005, 12:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

Effective January 2006

1. There will be a Mini Auction at the February Meeting.

2. There will be a limit of 5 (Five) "Minimum Reserve Bid Items", Per Seller, at each Mini Auction.  There is currently no changes to the Giant Auction.

Art Williamson
Secretary/Auction Chair

pegasus

Not sure about these new  rules.
You don't have a problem with me... I bring 2-6 bags.
Nobody brings mores than 6 bags of fish.
So I guess these rules are for the garage and plants sellers. To their defense.. they can't just put 10 plants per bag as we do for fry.  Maybe we could have the limit up to !0 items and see how it goes.

rockgarden

Do you mean a max of 5 items per seller or do you mean a max of 5 items per seller that can have a minimum bid placed on them i.e are you trying to reduce the total number of items at the mini-auctions or are you trying to reduce the total number of "minimum bid" items at the mini-auctions?

Ron

Nelson

Quote from: "rockgarden"Do you mean a max of 5 items per seller or do you mean a max of 5 items per seller that can have a minimum bid placed on them i.e are you trying to reduce the total number of items at the mini-auctions or are you trying to reduce the total number of "minimum bid" items at the mini-auctions?

Ron

It's the number of items that have a minimum bid stipulated - the more items offered with no minimum the better :lol:

pegasus

artw

I mean exactly what I wrote, and as Nelson clarified,  limit of 5 (Five) "Minimum Bid Items", Per Seller

rockgarden

Thanks for the clarification Art.  Michel and I must have been squinting to see around your eyes.

Ron

oenology

Quote from: "artw"I mean exactly what I wrote, and as Nelson clarified,  limit of 5 (Five) "Minimum Bid Items", Per Seller
In auction parlance I guess you mean items having a reserve bid

pegasus

Thanks oenology.
Quote from: "artw"I mean exactly what I wrote, and as Nelson clarified,  limit of 5 (Five) "Minimum Bid Items", Per Seller
I red it too personaly... maybe they didn t want me to bring more than 5 (Five) C44 that are selling at $1 the "Minimum Bid ", Per Buyer.
:)  :)

squeeker

Pegasus, I read it that way too.  I was gonna ask, but figured someone else would!

rockgarden

After gvv my 6 bags of chaeto and caulerpa at a $1 per bag, I thought that Art might have been trying to tell me something too. 8)

Boy am I ever happy that I put in six bags  :roll: If I hadn't dsone that I might not have been able to bid on Nelson's canopy and someone else might have got it for the minimum bid :P .

Ron

BigDaddy

Just for further clarification... minimum bid items are not $1 dollar items.  Minimum bid items are items that the seller specifically labels as not being available for less than a pre-set amount.

pegasus

Poor artw, my heart goes for you. A simple thread easy to understand and we had to generate 12 responses .

BTW artw, :D  I've been looking at your eyebrows instead of your eyes and I'm now into Tang.... just a notch over Malawi.

Nelson

Quote from: "pegasus"Poor artw, my heart goes for you. A simple thread easy to understand and we had to generate 12 responses .

BTW artw, :D  I've been looking at your eyebrows instead of your eyes and I'm now into Tang.... just a notch over Malawi.
:lol:

artw

we can do the Little Britain references in another thread :D  I think the auction discussion is great, no problem Michel.  the Executive  made this decision to try and limit the amount of not-sold items that usually end up having a too-high minimum reserve starting bid, like $15 for a 10 gallon tank for example which will never sell for that at any auction.   we feel that using this new guideline for the mini auction will speed it up greatly.

mseguin

Speaking of speeding up the process. We also would like to be able to start the meeting as close to 7 pm as possible. Lately the meeting has been starting closer to 7:30, and many people are leaving before the end of the auction. For those seelling, it is in your best interest to get it started as soon as possible, since the more people that stay, the higher your item will likely sell for.

artw

Just a reminder to everyone that the Minimum Reserve Bid - 5 Item Limit  is only in effect for the MINI AUCTIONS.   this does not apply to the GIANT AUCTION.

james

Hi
Thats fine that the club is trying to reduce the no of unsold items, but with this limit of 5 items there should also be a minuim bid on items as well ie $ 2 min.  The clubs take on something selling for .50 is .05
Like starting a bid of a 15 gal tank at $1 . The auctioneer should  make the starting bid of $5. on a situation like this.ven if there is no min.

If the reserve on something is to high it will not be bid on . It takes more time to sell something has no min and the auction stars the bid at $ 1 and the bidding goes to $20.

James :lol:
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

artw

For the Mini Auction bidding starts at $1
for the Giant auction bidding starts at $2

BigDaddy

You'd be amazed at how many people wouldn't put there had up starting at 5... but would starting at 1 and stay in well past 5

I think it has to do with a mental note that if bidding is starting at 5... then I won't bother because it will get too much too fast....

And besides... it only takes 5 seconds to go from $1 to $5 :lol: