New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

plant ID please

Started by sylros, June 29, 2012, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylros

Hi,

I got this plant at Big Al's because it was a different colour and looked interesting. Love how it contrast with the green. I've seen it in your tanks so perhaps you would know what it's called. Here's a pic:

pm

If you are asking about the tall reddish one, it looks like a ludwigia repens rubin to me, but it is hard to tell.

sylros

Ok thanks, i will check it out, at least i have somewhere to start. Sorry for the bad pic, could not get a good shot. What i see is not what the camera pictures.

sylros

Quote from: sylros on June 30, 2012, 10:17:05 AM
Ok thanks, i will check it out, at least i have somewhere to start. Sorry for the bad pic, could not get a good shot. What i see is not what the camera pictures.

You are correct! I looked it up in one of my books as well as online and it's that plant. Of course, it's much greener due to a lack of CO2 and perhaps the light intensity. But this plant was selected for that fact it didn't need CO2, it was a recommended plant for a low tech tank. It does look good and is contrasting to the others. So I still like it, it still seems to be doing OK. I've only had it for maybe a couple of months. There are other plants that didn't even survive.

daworldisblack

Quote from: sylros on July 03, 2012, 06:12:10 PM
You are correct! I looked it up in one of my books as well as online and it's that plant. Of course, it's much greener due to a lack of CO2 and perhaps the light intensity. But this plant was selected for that fact it didn't need CO2, it was a recommended plant for a low tech tank. It does look good and is contrasting to the others. So I still like it, it still seems to be doing OK. I've only had it for maybe a couple of months. There are other plants that didn't even survive.

Could be just regular Ludwigia Repens as well. The 'Rubin' variety is supposed to be redder even in lower light. The regular variety is green mostly with red undersides but does get red with higher light and CO2.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

I've had the regular ludwigia repens and found the lighting had a huge impact on its red colouration. Just my two cents.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Here's my Ludwigia Repens I recently replanted. The green is low-light growth and the pinkish is high-light growth

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!