New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40 gallon breeder tank

Started by newtchaplin, January 16, 2013, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newtchaplin

I got this tank from a friend for $50 so I filled it with blue and white 1/2" substrate and all fake plants.  I did some research on live plants and fell in love with what can be done in an aquarium.  I bought two amazon sword plants, and could not stop there.  I got some Anubis and was an upward spiral to greatness.  The tank is now fully planted all live with very small granule gravel, aqua soil, and sand.  In the pics I have only one fake plant,  that fake plant is now in my 20 gallon.

FISH
1 3 spotted gourami
1 golden gourami
1 dwarf gourami
1 bristlenose pleco
3 emeralds
4 albino cherry barbs
4 harlequin Rasboras
2 dwarf Otto's
2 Yoyo Loach
2 twin bar platy

PLANTS
Amazon sword
pennywort
red ludwigia
Anubis
jungle valis
java fern
unknown red plant

Peekay

Nice!  Isn't it amazing not only how much better looking live is, but how much more comfortable the fish are around the plants?

Also love the size of a 40G for a planted tank.

Welcome to the forum!

sas

Great looking tank, what lights are you using and are you adding ferts?

newtchaplin

Aqua soil and liquid fert.  Full spectrum daylight 8,000K 36" 25 Watt lamp T8.

newtchaplin

I really want to know more about light penetration, I want to grow Anubis, Amazon Sword, Red ludwigia, jungle valis, and some more reddish plants.  What would you suggest?.

exv152

Quote from: newtchaplin on January 17, 2013, 05:23:13 PMI really want to know more about light penetration, I want to grow Anubis, Amazon Sword, Red ludwigia, jungle valis, and some more reddish plants.  What would you suggest?.

Nice tanks btw. Anubias, swords, ludwigia, vals; all don't need lots of light. If you want to keep the setup low tech there are a couple of options for red plants, like some swords, red polysperma rosanverig, ludwigia repens and red wendtii crypts.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

newtchaplin

Does any one in the group have any thing like that for sale?