New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Planted tank reboot

Started by Rumble Fish, September 06, 2018, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumble Fish

I've decided to reboot my 100g planted tank. I'm not happy with either the substrate or lighting in general and want to change them.

The tank is 6ft and I want to get a full spectrum LED system to continue growing lower light spectrum plants. It's 18 inches deep and the lights could be 6 inches over the water. Is anyone using anything they recommend?  I'm seeing the length is limiting my selection.

I want  to try sand as a substrate and it's my first time doing this. Play sand or pool filter sand?  Ideally I'd like the browner choice.  Any suggestions on fertilizer for the soil?

Thanks!

Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish

Gilbotron

Nice!  I have a very similar reboot for my 90g in the near future - I'm tired of dosing ferts, so have decided to dirt it and cap with sand.

I've been using the Satellite Pro Plus on my 90g (same depth but only 4') and have been quite pleased with it. However they can be very expensive, and in your case you would probably be better with 2 x 3' fixtures rather than 1 x 4' fixture. I only use low to medium light plants, and no CO2, so can't speak to how good it would be if looking to do carpets or high light plants. The nice thing about it is it has full RGBW control so you can fine tune the exact colour and brightness - I can only run mine at 50% power - any higher and I get lots of algae due to too much light, not enough nutrients.

They also had excellent customer service 3 years ago when I needed it. I had a Satellite Pro unit just stop working one day - I called them, they asked me to email a picture of the unit, and in 2 days I had a brand new replacement (and it was outside of the 1 yr manufacturer warranty period and I didn't even have a receipt?!). 

I also use some Aqueon and Chihiros LED's in some other tanks and have not been nearly as pleased (other than $$$) as the Satellite Pro Plus. 

Hope this helps!

ksj

I use play sand. It looks exactly like the sand at a beach I visit sometimes. Very natural.  And its aquarium safe since it has to be kid safe. Only down side iis it needs to be rinsed for a while to remove all or most of the soot.
90g with 20g sump - Endlers, Kuhli loaches, Betta, Pearl gourami, Salt and pepper cories, Ottos, Assassin snails, Unlucky trumpet snails
~Kim

Rumble Fish

Quote from: Gilbotron on September 07, 2018, 01:00:09 PM
Nice!  I have a very similar reboot for my 90g in the near future - I'm tired of dosing ferts, so have decided to dirt it and cap with sand.

I've been using the Satellite Pro Plus on my 90g (same depth but only 4') and have been quite pleased with it. However they can be very expensive, and in your case you would probably be better with 2 x 3' fixtures rather than 1 x 4' fixture. I only use low to medium light plants, and no CO2, so can't speak to how good it would be if looking to do carpets or high light plants. The nice thing about it is it has full RGBW control so you can fine tune the exact colour and brightness - I can only run mine at 50% power - any higher and I get lots of algae due to too much light, not enough nutrients.

They also had excellent customer service 3 years ago when I needed it. I had a Satellite Pro unit just stop working one day - I called them, they asked me to email a picture of the unit, and in 2 days I had a brand new replacement (and it was outside of the 1 yr manufacturer warranty period and I didn't even have a receipt?!). 

I also use some Aqueon and Chihiros LED's in some other tanks and have not been nearly as pleased (other than $$$) as the Satellite Pro Plus. 

Hope this helps!

I was thinking I'd have to use two 3 foot lights as well, do you think I could attach them to a Y-splitter for the timer?  Although that being said I just saw a power bar w a built in timer at Al's today that could be good.

Any thoughts on the Aqueon line of lights?  Petsmart is having a sale I noticed.

I've dirted tanks as well, in fact this is one of them, and so far so good. I also add a layer of clay as well. I plan on repeating that during the reboot. No complaints about plant growth that it provides.
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish

lucius

If you pay a bit more, you can get timers with dual plugs so you won't need a y splitter.