New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can you ID this Crab Albert?

Started by Stussi613, November 19, 2013, 02:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

Posted by a member in a another post.  The claws look blunted, but they are black tipped and he's pretty hairy.  Reef safe?

From this post:  http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57008.msg321615;topicseen#new
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 19, 2013, 02:07:14 PM
Posted by a member in a another post.  The claws look blunted, but they are black tipped and he's pretty hairy.  Reef safe?

From this post:  http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57008.msg321615;topicseen#new

Not 100% sure but it looks like a "Pagarus" species Hermit crab, of which there are many ... and many have hairy legs ... and is it reef safe ? Yes and no ...  I do not trust Hermit crabs in general.

In fact as you can see that it looks like it is trying to eat a snail ...

Normally they are herbivores and omnivores but the problem with Hermit crabs is that they can be very unpredictable an opportunistic, and will sometimes attack other animals in the tank ... and in this case it seems like a snail is the victim, and not for the shell as that shell is smaller than the one the crab already has.

Note that they come in a number of different colors depending on the species ...

Albert

az

lol he was the only hermit in the sps tank came inside a baby snail shell few years ago.

I think they are called snow white or something like that.

I want him back, he ate many snails over the years he is priceless. look at the nice Mexican turbo shell he is in, I just got them not too long ago.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

albertthiel

Quote from: az on November 19, 2013, 07:04:46 PM
lol he was the only hermit in the sps tank came inside a baby snail shell few years ago.

I want him back, he ate many snails over the years he is priceless. look at the nice Mexican turbo shell he is in, I just got them not too long ago.
Well hopefully he will do OK and not bother anything else in the tank but the problem usually is that when they do not find the food they usually consume, they will decide to sample other things in the aquarium (like snails) and sometimes they will nibble on corals and zoas etc ....

Good luck if you have one or get one

Greatwhite

Bah.. I should have read down more of the forum before spending all that time researching hermit crabs... :)  Looks like I was on the right track!

I think he should be returned to Az though... You can tell he's emotionally attached to the little guy. :(  (hey Az, how much do you want for him?)   :)

I'd like to see how that hairy crab stands up against my HUGE scarlet......  Winner takes all...

mchotdog

Quote from: az on November 19, 2013, 07:04:46 PM

awwww.. but i want him too. he is pretty cool. can i please keep him??

Stussi613

Quote from: Greatwhite on November 19, 2013, 09:15:18 PM
Bah.. I should have read down more of the forum before spending all that time researching hermit crabs... :)  Looks like I was on the right track!

I think he should be returned to Az though... You can tell he's emotionally attached to the little guy. :(  (hey Az, how much do you want for him?)   :)

I'd like to see how that hairy crab stands up against my HUGE scarlet......  Winner takes all...

OVAS haz expert crab identifiers now GW, where you been hiding?  :P
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 19, 2013, 11:22:32 PM
OVAS haz expert crab identifiers now GW, where you been hiding?  :P

Been busy with renos and travelling for work.  I guess since there's an expert crab identifier now, I will go back to installing my hardwood.  :'(

albertthiel

Quote from: Greatwhite on November 20, 2013, 11:31:38 AM
Been busy with renos and travelling for work.  I guess since there's an expert crab identifier now, I will go back to installing my hardwood.  :'(

:)  Not an expert but I have seen quite a few so finding a genus is not always that difficult, finding the exact species can be a little more tricky, especially if one cannot see the entire crab

Greatwhite

I like the challenge of id'ing crabs from a blurry picture of a leg. It's a rare treat to get a nice clear picture like this one!

albertthiel

Quote from: Greatwhite on November 22, 2013, 12:35:17 AM
I like the challenge of id'ing crabs from a blurry picture of a leg. It's a rare treat to get a nice clear picture like this one!

Yes the pic of the Crab is great but whatever he is attacking is not that clear but could be indeed another small Hermit ...

ID' many life forms can be a challenge indeed ... especially when the pics are not that close up ... or blurred .. or the life form is not easy to see .. but it is indeed always an interesting exercise

Greatwhite

I thought it looked like a small scarlet hermit.

albertthiel

Quote from: Greatwhite on November 22, 2013, 09:20:24 PM
I thought it looked like a small scarlet hermit.

Yes could be ... but the point I guess remains that the Hairy one is a carnivore attacking even other Hermits and who knows what else after a while, as that seems to be the problem when crabs turn on you from detrivore to carnivore, they become opportunistic and go for your other small life forms and then even for your corals.

Greatwhite

Maybe they were just playing...  Since he was the only hermit in an sps tank, he may not like other hermits. Interesting.

albertthiel

Quote from: Greatwhite on November 24, 2013, 01:24:04 PM
Maybe they were just playing...  Since he was the only hermit in an sps tank, he may not like other hermits. Interesting.

Could be but that crab sure had some big claws .... and IME Hermit crabs are very opportunistic in what they eat if not enough regular left over food is found, and they decide to take a nibble at your snails or other smaller hermits or even Zoas and Palys and other corals