New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Peacock Mantis Kills Blue Ringed Octopus and Survives

Started by albertthiel, December 02, 2013, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowtang

The octopus seems to be far too small to defend itself. It seems that someone
Put the little guy to be the mantis dinner. I've seen cuttlefish making mantis shrimps
Their meals.
Tnx for that video.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

albertthiel

Quote from: yellowtang on December 02, 2013, 06:08:31 PM
The octopus seems to be far too small to defend itself. It seems that someone
Put the little guy to be the mantis dinner. I've seen cuttlefish making mantis shrimps
Their meals.
Tnx for that video.

Yes you are correct and that was my thought too as if that was a large one the Mantis would probably either leave it alone or may have to give up on trying to consume it ... and then there is the larger amount of toxin from a larger one too to consider.

And yes I have seen cuttlefish make a real of Mantis real fast ... but I thought it was an interesting video from the standpoint on how the Mantis actually tries to kill off the Octopus.

The strange thing was too that I did not see any protective or defensive reaction from the Octopus

Albert

Stussi613

There is a funny video on youtube about the mantis shrimp that shows a pretty big octopus backing away from a full grown mantis.  I think that pound for pound, there aren't many animals in the ocean that are as tough as the mantis and I'm pretty sure that allot of things give them a pretty wide birth.

I was also very shocked to find out, as an aside, that they eat these shrimp quite regularly in Asia.  A friend of mine took some pictures at a food market in Vietnam and they had live smasher variety's for sale for consumption.
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on December 03, 2013, 06:21:44 PM
There is a funny video on youtube about the mantis shrimp that shows a pretty big octopus backing away from a full grown mantis.  I think that pound for pound, there aren't many animals in the ocean that are as tough as the mantis and I'm pretty sure that allot of things give them a pretty wide birth.

I was also very shocked to find out, as an aside, that they eat these shrimp quite regularly in Asia.  A friend of mine took some pictures at a food market in Vietnam and they had live smasher variety's for sale for consumption.

Yes there are some most interesting videos on Mantis and other life forms indeed on U-Tube ... I listed some on my FB group Nano Reef Aquariums and will list a few here later today or tomorrow ... I have to prepare a slide presentation for a talk I am giving this Sunday in Jacksonville FL ... so not sure when I can get around to it but I will.

And yes they eat them in Vietnam, Indonesia, Japan, and the Philippines and believe it or not even in Italy in some areas. the double issue on Mantis Shrimp of the Nano Reef Newsletter (19 pages) gives detail on that and pics and of course a lot to other info.

If you are not getting the newsletter send me your email and full name and I will give you a free subscription ...

Albert

yellowtang

albert, by any chance is the event called
JAXREEF holiday reef conference?  held at the
Morocco shrine , south Jacksonville?
I used to live about 10 minutes from there at
St johns bluff rd...I remember going there in 1999 and
2000....very informative event and lots of bargains to be had.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

albertthiel

Quote from: yellowtang on December 04, 2013, 02:45:51 PM
albert, by any chance is the event called
JAXREEF holiday reef conference?  held at the
Morocco shrine , south Jacksonville?
I used to live about 10 minutes from there at
St johns bluff rd...I remember going there in 1999 and
2000....very informative event and lots of bargains to be had.

Yes that is actually the one and I know it is going to be a top meet and frag swap based on the feedback I get from the organizers .. Lots of exhibitors and even some by Hobbyists ...

Two speakers : Tony Vargas and myself ...

I will more than likely be giving a talk a a local Pet Store as well but that has not been confirmed yet ...

I imagine that since the time you went there that it has grown a lot in size ... looking forward to it

Albert