New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Stump I.D. ?? :P (Clams Foot)

Started by Feivel, December 08, 2013, 07:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feivel

Hey Albert,  I was told to ask your opinion on this. All my fish/shrimps are accounted for,  I was also suggested this could be a Clams Foot,  But the clam seems to be healthy. Hasn't moved(or been moved) in a long time. What do you think?

Looks like a cigarette butt without the wraper tha is fanned out. Feels like chicken cartiledge. Now it sleeps down the toilet :P

If it is the clams foot, is this a naturals form of defense to loose its foot (like a lizard) And do you know if the clam should recover ?

albertthiel

Quote from: Feivel on December 08, 2013, 07:59:18 AM
Hey Albert,  I was told to ask your opinion on this. All my fish/shrimps are accounted for,  I was also suggested this could be a Clams Foot,  But the clam seems to be healthy. Hasn't moved(or been moved) in a long time. What do you think?

Looks like a cigarette butt without the wraper tha is fanned out. Feels like chicken cartiledge. Now it sleeps down the toilet :P

If it is the clams foot, is this a naturals form of defense to loose its foot (like a lizard) And do you know if the clam should recover ?

This is odd indeed .. I need to check a few things as this looks really odd ... Let me do that and get back to you. I suppose you took it out right ?

Albert

Feivel

Yup, and ive already flushed it down the toilet. Whatever it was didnt try to move, didnt seem like it have life.  It did seem to have red sploches, as if it did have blood at somepoint.

Because of the shape, i thought it could be one of my cleaner shrimp, but there both there. My CUC is low & I dont have any weird or unusual snails, And as stated, all other fish were accounted for. Definately a weird apparition.

Pat Foster suggested it could be a clams foot, and Ray said he has seem something similar.
I have not moved my clam in foreveer, it is happy where it has been for a long time. Nice extension on it.
Thats why i was questioning the clam. But it seems in full health.

Thanks for the input :P

albertthiel

Quote from: Feivel on December 08, 2013, 09:59:33 AM
Yup, and ive already flushed it down the toilet. Whatever it was didnt try to move, didnt seem like it have life.  It did seem to have red sploches, as if it did have blood at somepoint.

Because of the shape, i thought it could be one of my cleaner shrimp, but there both there. My CUC is low & I dont have any weird or unusual snails, And as stated, all other fish were accounted for. Definately a weird apparition.

Pat Foster suggested it could be a clams foot, and Ray said he has seem something similar.
I have not moved my clam in foreveer, it is happy where it has been for a long time. Nice extension on it.
Thats why i was questioning the clam. But it seems in full health.

Thanks for the input :P

I think the are the byssal threads of a Clam looking at it for some time ...

Did you loose a clam recently or is one in your tank not doing all that well ?

Albert

Feivel

As stated, Clam has not moved, looks healthy, picture inserted in previous post. 
Just the one clam. The "stump" was found on the bottom left corner of that picture just under the white spot in the zoa colony. 

Just spoted my sandsifting star fish, its whole and intact. Still stumping me :P

albertthiel

Quote from: Feivel on December 08, 2013, 06:14:18 PM
As stated, Clam has not moved, looks healthy, picture inserted in previous post. 
Just the one clam. The "stump" was found on the bottom left corner of that picture just under the white spot in the zoa colony. 

Just spoted my sandsifting star fish, its whole and intact. Still stumping me :P

I am actually in Jacksonville FL today for a Frag Swap meeting where i was giving a talk, and so was Tony Vargas. I showed him the picture and he too is of the olin ion that it is the byssal and food that come loose from the Clam for some reason but looking at the image you sent the Clam looks like ti is doing well, so it is a little bit of a mystery here.

Albert

Feivel

Hey Albert, So I scrapped the glass to get a better angle, and I think it is the foot off my clam.  Ill bet you i hit it last time i was cleaning the tank. Im almost 100% sure it has to be the clams foot, Theres still 2-3 noticeable strings attached and a hole that appears when a fish spooks the clam.

Thanks again :P Hope anyone learnt something here :P I know i did :)

Cheers

albertthiel

Quote from: Feivel on December 08, 2013, 07:08:33 PM
Hey Albert, So I scrapped the glass to get a better angle, and I think it is the foot off my clam.  Ill bet you i hit it last time i was cleaning the tank. Im almost 100% sure it has to be the clams foot, Theres still 2-3 noticeable strings attached and a hole that appears when a fish spooks the clam.

Thanks again :P Hope anyone learnt something here :P I know i did :)

Cheers

Yes I agree, the foot and byssal is what it indeed probably is.

Albert