New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tank raised inquiry

Started by Nyx, January 02, 2014, 12:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

Hi Albert,

I know that ORA has managed to domestically raise several species of fish but I'm wondering if there are any tank-raised tangs, shrimp and CUC crustaceans/snails available in the industry?

Thanks,
Claude
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

albertthiel

Quote from: Nyx on January 02, 2014, 12:21:10 PM
Hi Albert,

I know that ORA has managed to domestically raise several species of fish but I'm wondering if there are any tank-raised tangs, shrimp and CUC crustaceans/snails available in the industry?

Thanks,
Claude

Some Tangs yes but not all of them and most Yellow ones are still from the Wild. Shrimp by now there are a few but it takes some research to find out from the resellers whether they are from the Caribbean or Wild caught from other areas

There really is still a lot of work to be done in tank raising a lot of the life forms we keep even though more and more are made available.

Albert

Nyx

Thanks for the information, Albert. Then, I guess my husband and I are going to wait a while before setting up another saltwater tank.

albertthiel

Quote from: Nyx on January 03, 2014, 02:25:30 PM
Thanks for the information, Albert. Then, I guess my husband and I are going to wait a while before setting up another saltwater tank.

Well not necessarily but it really depends on which fish you are looking for ... one of the largest breeders is ORA which you can find at

http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/

And of course there are others as well

Albert

Nyx

Thanks, Albert. I've been aware of ORA and at one time, had a pair of their snowflake ocellaris clowns. We're thinking about getting back into the saltwater hobby but only if we can completely avoid anything wild caught. *shrug*

albertthiel

Quote from: Nyx on January 03, 2014, 07:10:21 PM
Thanks, Albert. I've been aware of ORA and at one time, had a pair of their snowflake ocellaris clowns. We're thinking about getting back into the saltwater hobby but only if we can completely avoid anything wild caught. *shrug*

That is indeed a very good approach and a great way of thinking and as time goes on hopefully more and more Hobbyists will refrain from buying wild caught fish and corals and only purchase captive bred specimens, especially once more and more become available

Albert