New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dr Shimek on Flatworms and other pests

Started by albertthiel, January 13, 2014, 01:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaspare

Very interesting article.  I remember using flat worm exit with good results.   

Stussi613

Quote from: Gaspare on January 13, 2014, 02:52:04 PM
Very interesting article.  I remember using flat worm exit with good results.   

You just can't dose the amount on the box to get good results though :)
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 13, 2014, 03:40:52 PM
You just can't dose the amount on the box to get good results though :)
Indeed one has to use the correct amount based on what one has as too much is not good and will get negative effects, and not enough will not achieve the desired result.

Personally I use biological methods to rid the tank of them e.g. anything that eats them

Nyx

I agree with you, Albert, on using biological methods whenever possible but we used to find that it was often hard to get things such as blue velvet nudibranchs up here in Ontario and when they were available, they were so expensive that we couldn't afford to buy enough to rid a 150G tank of the pests. At other times, we'd try something such as a six-line wrasse which is supposed to be helpful but they just didn't eat them and then, good luck trying to get the fish out of your tank when you have 335 lbs of rock for them to hide in. So, I guess the obvious lesson is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

Stussi613

Quote from: Nyx on January 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM
So, I guess the obvious lesson is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :)

I'm always amazed when I go into stores and see flatworms in tanks and other people don't...and I'm a relative newbie to the hobby. 

On second thought, maybe that's why I notice them more, because I'm always looking to see things in tanks that I've never seen before. :-\
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 13, 2014, 04:51:11 PM
I'm always amazed when I go into stores and see flatworms in tanks and other people don't...and I'm a relative newbie to the hobby. 

On second thought, maybe that's why I notice them more, because I'm always looking to see things in tanks that I've never seen before. :-\
It may be that you take the time you should to really inspect corals and whatever else is in a tank and others do not, they focus on what they want to buy but do not inspect and look at every area to make sure there is nothing wrong with it etc ...

Good for you

Albert

Nyx

We'd look carefully as well but all it takes is a few and next thing you know... We actually never saw a flatworm in our tank until we'd been about 8 years in the hobby and it seemed to explode overnight. The tank was clear when we went to bed that night and the next day, when the lights came on, boom! Of course, it could also be that our water parameters were a little off at that particular time, allowing for the proliferation. Who knows. But was I glad when we saw the end of them. They gave me the creeps. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

albertthiel

Quote from: Nyx on January 13, 2014, 05:45:39 PM
We'd look carefully as well but all it takes is a few and next thing you know... We actually never saw a flatworm in our tank until we'd been about 8 years in the hobby and it seemed to explode overnight. The tank was clear when we went to bed that night and the next day, when the lights came on, boom! Of course, it could also be that our water parameters were a little off at that particular time, allowing for the proliferation. Who knows. But was I glad when we saw the end of them. They gave me the creeps. :)

Very true, regardless of how much care and prevention methods we use and even though we dip and dip more, and inspect and use a QT, there will indeed come a day where the unexpected will happen ... it is very unfortunate but  I guess that is part of the Hobby ... At times something will happen that we did not expect and all we can do then is deal with it and resolve the issue.

Just think back a little and even Dr. Joshi who is perhaps the most knowledge hobbyist around was hit with RTN of his corals a free months ago and is not sure what caused it, He thought that maybe an issue with his chiller was the cause but I think he as eliminated that as a cause by now.

It happens to the best of us