New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rare Video of a "Female" Peacock Mantis Shrimp

Started by albertthiel, January 21, 2014, 06:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albertthiel

Indeed most of the ones found for sale are always males so it is unusual to come across a Female and even more so to find a video on one : This is a gorgeous looking one too !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfJxXW93BBg

Albert

az

how can you tell difference bet male and female, thanks.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

albertthiel

Quote from: az on January 23, 2014, 09:57:38 AM
how can you tell difference bet male and female, thanks.

Either color or by looking at the Telson and the small appendages attached to it but it may differ depending on the species so it is not always that easy. Color however is usually a good norm to go by ..

Albert

JetJumper

same goes for birds :)  Colourful = males.. pea-cocking.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Stussi613

Albert if you are crazy enough to grab a Mantis and try to look at it's undercarriage then I'm impressed :)
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 23, 2014, 10:15:20 AM
Albert if you are crazy enough to grab a Mantis and try to look at it's undercarriage then I'm impressed :)

NO, I am not that crazy :)  .... you have to try and determine it by looking at them when they are moving around e.g. when trying to feed.

I treasure my fingers :)

Albert

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

albertthiel

Quote from: JetJumper on January 23, 2014, 10:18:10 AM
live dangerous! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV9z5e1r2KM

Lysiosquillina maculata is a Spearer and I think that part of the Raptorial Appendage has been removed or what you see in the video could not be done.

Some overseas shippers have recently started shipping Mantis Shrimp with their Raps partially removed especially on the Spearers so they have to be fed as they can no longer capture (spear) their own food.

BTW I had seen that video but others on here may not have .. VERY interesting to watch ..