New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hi I am Art

Started by artw, December 11, 2006, 04:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

Ok I'll be the first to break the ice.

My name is Art and I am a fishaholic. I have been keeping fish since I got my first 33 gallon starter kit at the Super Pet in Sarnia ONT's boxing day sale December 1999.  I remember this because it was the week we had a huge party for the year 2000 at my girlfriend's parents house near Chatham.
so a couple months later I got a 77 kit from the old SP Merivale and decided to put African cichlids in it. I was originally going to stock it with 70 or so tiger barbs but decided not to once I met Jody M at Big Als on Belfast Road.   I joined OVAS pretty much right away so I've been a member since 2000.  The rest they say is history, I joined the CRLCA, quickly discovered wild fish, and a year or so later I was breeding Malawi's and quickly obtaining more tanks.   Jody was going to Africa on an internship with Stuart Grant so I had the perfect opportunity to join him. so in 2002 I went there for 3 weeks with the idea of scuba diving and possibly catching my own fish, which I did, and a year or so later I found myself with 36 tanks breeding wild Malawi's.
I was also getting into cave diving at that point so I decided to thin out my stock and at the same time make some money. eventually I sold everything in April 2005 and moved into a smaller place downtown to focus on my diving.
April 2006 rolls around and I come upon someone who is trying to get rid of all their aquarium stuff, so he donates this stuff to OVAS to go in the auction, and gave me his 90 gallon and its accessories for my effort.  so almost exactly a year later after being out of the hobby (but being still active in OVAS) I have a 90 gallon planted tank again.   December 2006 comes and goes, and I am working at Aquarium Services part time and already planning my second tank.     

I like cave diving, Bengal cats, girls, chocolate and pineapples. 

wow, that was more of a biography than an introduction.

That's me, trapped in a nutshell.  Hi  :D

babblefish1960

Wow, that is such a cool biography, especially the leap from a starter tank kit to the WC african fishroom. What are you doing about a second tank now?

I still think that if you build a large enough tank, you could have both your fish and your diving altogether in one room.

I think some pictures are in order, especially of you trapped in a nutshell. ;D

artw

I am planning a 75 with apistos and what not.  I am debating whether or not to do an open top tank, and hang lights from the ceiling, but since I plan on putting the cat tree near the tank I think it may become a swimming pool for Jenny.  will probably end up just putting a 48" coralife light on it.

here are some pictures of my previous setup.
http://artw.myvnc.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album07

beowulf

Some really nice pics on that link.

artw

thank you :)  my camera used to be an extension of my body, but it doesn't work very well anymore. maybe i'll pick a new one up on Boxing Day.  (do they have boxing day in the states?)

PaleoFishGirl

I split the Boxing Day topic off, this is supposed to be all about Art ;)

babblefish1960

Quote from: artw on December 14, 2006, 10:28:31 AM
thank you :)  my camera used to be an extension of my body, but it doesn't work very well anymore. maybe i'll pick a new one up on Boxing Day.  (do they have boxing day in the states?)
Art was the one who asked the question, now if he wants to know and can't figure out how to get to the split topic :-X, he may never actually find the answer and come to think that wikipaedia is written by knowledgable people.

artw

Maybe not so much but at least I can spell "knowledgeable" correctly. :D
*art ducks and runs*  I would however like to know how to combine the a and the e into one letter, Olde English style.
ah its ok, off topic posts are cool in my thread, I am an off topic kind of guy. hey, that's not off topic, its another piece of useless trivia about me. maybe I'll try at 5:10am post tonight

babblefish1960

I can't believe I made a spelling error, in such a simple word too, crum. As for the "a" and the "e", well, you need to venture into ancient Latin a bit, and consider olde English too.

I would love to see what a post from you would look like at 5:10 in the morning, but that would have to be staying up for, rather than getting up for. :D

PoisonJello

æ  or  Æ      ;D   use Character Map  ;D

fishycanuck

C'mon, Artibartfast - tell us what your day job is!

artw

well during the day I work as an Architectural Technologist designing buildings... thus the Artibartfast reference.  My favourite buildings are the krinkly ones around the coast in Norway.
By night I am a virtual pilot for Slipstream Airways.  I logged my first flight from KATL to KTPA last night in a cute little 717-200.
oh yeah and there is also that Big Al's thing, heehee

babblefish1960

I think there was an award for all the little crinkly bits in the fjords. ;) That is so cool designing crinkly buildings.

And moonlighting in a fish store is a curious way to meet fish and crazy fish people, you must be having fun with that.

As for the flying, that sounds like fun too, I imagine that if things get out of control and you crash, you could always try something from Star Wars.