New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hello

Started by 613reefguy, February 17, 2011, 12:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

613reefguy

Hello everyone, I just stumbled upon this forum and am glad I did. 

I hope to learn a lot here.  Does anyone know if a tank can be drilled while standing up right?  I have a 65 Gallon on the go, but I dont want to empty it just to put it on its side to drill holes in it.  Is there a way I can drain half the water, put duct tape or something on the inside of the tank, carefully drill and then clean up everything?

I know this may be dumb but I just wanted to ask.  I would really like to do this so I can do my plumbing properly.

Malyon18

Welcome to OVAS,

I think I seen a video once on youtube of someone drilling their tank while there was still water in it, I think it would be REALLY risky but that is just my opinion. If you don;t have any livestock in the tank I would drain the whole thing but thats just my opinion and I am not an expert so someone else may have a different opinion  :)

"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

JetJumper

I don't see any reason why you can't do it.  I presume your not going to be drilling on a part of the tank that is under water.  Just have to try to get ALL the little glass bits that are created from the drilling however so drill from the outside in.  Just have some sort of little box or something on the inside.  You don't HAVE to keep the bit under water while drilling, you just need to keep it moist enough to prevent it heating up and damaging the glue bond that holds the diamonds to the coring bit.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

sas

Hi and welcome to the forum portion of OVAS :).

You may want to post your question in the saltwater section of the forum,
you will probably get more answers? Just a thought since I'm not sure how
many people visit this portion of the forum.