New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral won't open

Started by RickGervs, December 29, 2011, 07:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickGervs

Hi,

I've had my Toadstool Leather Coral for about 2 weeks now and it only opened the first two days, after that it never opened again completely.

Any suggestions?

Eric

beertech

Make sure it's getting full light, and plenty of direct flow from a powerhead. Check all your water parameters. Are all your other corals open and thriving?

RickGervs

Yeah, all my other corals are perfectly fine and so does my water parameters. The water flow is kinda low tho... I'll try to move my powerhead tonight.

Thanks

JetJumper

some leathers go through a period where they will not open.  Can you provide a picture?  there is usually a "coating" on the leather at this time and its almost like its going through a molt. 

A Picture might help us out a bit more.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

RickGervs

I'll upload some pictures as soon as I get home.

There's actually some kind of slime coating sometimes on the top.

JetJumper

I would say don't worry about it.  Slime coats on leathers is a usual thing to have happen.  Unless its melting away, don't be alarmed.

RickGervs

JetJumper

It will literally turn to a mushy goo, or start falling apart if its dying.  If its molting, it will get this slime coat on it, close up for a bit and then will eventually open again back in full force.

beertech

Ya, that's why leathers need a good amount of flow, to help blow away the molted tissue.