New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Greetings from the East Coast!!

Started by lis_, October 02, 2007, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lis_

Hi Everyone;

While I am not technically new to this site, I figured it was time to post a intro of myself so you can get to know me.

I've been a fish keeper for a number of years and have kept the usual managerie of species ... livebearers, cichlids, loaches, catfish, etc. For the last two years, I have focused my engeries on keeping Tanganyikan cichlids and have built up quite the collection. I'm currently keeping two Tropheus colonies -- 24 " Cherry Spot" and 14  "Moliro" as well as an assortment of Alto. calvus and compressiceps. I also keep  N. leleupi and colony of Brevis "Sunspot" and, the usual myriad of Multis, who are currently breeding like rabbits.

You'd think 8 tanks was enough but wait, there's more...

Despite my new love for all things Tanganyika, I have kept a 90gl going with a large group of Cyrtocara moorii as well as several "Virginalis Gold" and three "Eureka Albino" peacocks (1 m/2f). I also have a number of fancy plecos which I simply adore. Among them, a "Three Beacon", a "Vampire" pair (they still have yet to breed), and a "Flash" pleco. Added to that the usual additional Clown Loaches and Catffish can be found in a number of the large tanks.

More recently, I started up a 30gl SW tank. It is still going through the cycling phase but eventually, I'll upgrade to a 55gl and get some seahorses. (there is a local breeder that I know of here on the East Coast) 

I think that's it for me...oh, I also have a dog and two cats too!!

Looking forward to chatting with you all. Cheers

l.

babblefish1960

Well hello there lis,  so nice of you to drop by and confess your sins of fishkeeping with us.  That is quite a habit you have picked up, sounds absolutely lovely.  Even if they are just Africans!  :P   Just a wee bit of humour there for all you African cichlid, especially Tanganyikan snooty people. :)

Hope to be seeing some pictures of your lovelies, and whenever you're in our neck of the woods, drop in on a meeting, we have a lot of fun and we're great people to get to know, even if we are in the capital. ;)

I am sure you have heard of ECAS nearby in Nova Scotia, we are similar except we don't smell the sea air in here. :)

lis_

Oh, but I have heard of them Jody ;) ECAS folks are a friendly bunch and I've encouraged many of them to check out OVAS. To be honest, we've borrowed a few good ideas from you folks and on Monday, Oct 8th at 8pm AST, Klaus Steinhaus will be joining us in the forum chat room for our first ever scheduled chat event. You are all welcome to join us as well.

For those who might enjoy the salt air, I may just bring some with me in March as I'm making arrangments to come up to your big auction at that time. It might not fetch a high price at auction but its good for what ails ya  :)

Thanks for the welcome

l.

beowulf

Great news, hope you have a fun time at the auction!!!

BigDaddy

Okay.. since Lisa is way too humble.. I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag.

Hello Ms. President  ;D

babblefish1960

Sounds like an interesting chat, I just have to figure out what time is 8pm AST, (australia?) :)

Look forward to smelling some salt air in March, make sure you bring lots of goodies and money, and some cookies while you're at it, I like good cookies. ;)

beowulf

Bah President is not so hot the program director is the one who makes things interesting  :D

dan2x38

Greetings from a fellow Martimer...  8) I am from Fredericton... here in OVAS they do not hold it against me... my wife is from the Rock... my son was born in PEI... what bunch... LOL

Quote from: lis_ on October 02, 2007, 01:25:33 PM
...on Monday, Oct 8th at 8pm AST, Klaus Steinhaus will be joining us in the forum chat room for our first ever scheduled chat event. You are all welcome to join us as well.

Wow Klaus Steinhaus awesome speaker...!!! we only need to be registered as a guest to join your chat?

Hey there Execs. could we make this a NEWS item? Very News worthy!  :o

East Coast Aquarium Society
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

lis_

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 02, 2007, 02:51:08 PM
Greetings from a fellow Martimer...  8) I am from Fredericton... here in OVAS they do not hold it against me... my wife is from the Rock... my son was born in PEI... what bunch... LOL

Wow Klaus Steinhaus awesome speaker...!!! we only need to be registered as a guest to join your chat?

I'm from Corner Brook, NL orginally but have made myself rather comfortable here right outside Halifax for the last 10 years. Its almost as good as being home!

You will only have to sign up to the forum to participate in the chat. Its a fairly simple procedure and is usually automatic. I believe there is a confirmation email you'll need to verify your account with but that's pretty much it. Hope you can make it ... 7pm your time :)

l.

dan2x38

Quote from: lis_ on October 02, 2007, 03:18:01 PM
I'm from Corner Brook, NL orginally but have made myself comfortable here right outside Halifax for the last 10 years. Its almost as good as being home!

You will only have to sign up to the forum to participate in the chat. Its a fairly simple procedure and is usually automatic. I believe there is a confirmation email you'll need to verify your account with but that's pretty much it. Hope you can make it ... 7pm your time :)

l.
Thanks Madame President...  8) I registered it was easy & needed to activate via e-mail... Very nice looking forum! I was able to open chat...

My parents were born in Bridgewater...
Voltaire:

RoxyDog

Hi Lisa, welcome aboard.  Hope my mom hasn't told you too many stories.  ;)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

lis_

Quote from: RoxyDog on October 02, 2007, 04:23:19 PM
Hi Lisa, welcome aboard.  Hope my mom hasn't told you too many stories.  ;)

Nope, she hasn't told me very many yet  :-X

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 02, 2007, 03:21:06 PM
Thanks Madame President...  8) I registered it was easy & needed to activate via e-mail... Very nice looking forum! I was able to open chat...

Glad to hear you had no troubles with it. Unforntuately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we've had to reschedule the chat with Klaus until Monday, Oct. 15th @ 8:00pm. Sorry folks but it is my hope that the new time will still work for many of you to be able to join us

l.

BigMomma

Welcome Lis,

I am quite happy to see a Club sisterhood forming, looking forward to the chat session and to meeting you in person at the Giant Auction.  :)

lis_

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, the club 'sisterhood' is very exciting for all of us too and I'm looking forward to chatting with many of you.

Last night, I looked through the gallery pics of some of your events such as the Beach Clean up and the 2007 Auction - Wow, you folks are going great work up there and having a blast too!! Well done!

l. 

dan2x38

Quote from: lis_ on October 04, 2007, 10:24:40 AM
Yes, the club 'sisterhood' is very exciting for all of us too and I'm looking forward to chatting with many of you.
To follow non-sexist trends why not being PC, Brotherhood - slash - Sisterhood... LMAO !!!  ;D 8) ;D  OH yeah 'B' comes before 'S'...  ;)
Voltaire:

Fishnut

Whoo Hoo!  Another Newfie!  Welcome to OVAS!

Sue

Welcome to OVAS lis. Its also nice to see a fellow tropheus lover on here.
Is klaus going to talk tropheus for his chat?

lis_

Quote from: Sue on October 04, 2007, 05:06:35 PM
Welcome to OVAS lis. Its also nice to see a fellow tropheus lover on here.
Is klaus going to talk tropheus for his chat?

Yes, I think Tropheus is on top of Klaus' list of things to chat about, which I'm thrilled about. I just love them so.

What variant(s) are you keeping Sue?

l.

Sue

Quote from: lis_ on October 04, 2007, 11:15:40 PM
Yes, I think Tropheus is on top of Klaus' list of things to chat about, which I'm thrilled about. I just love them so.

What variant(s) are you keeping Sue?

l.
I also have some Cherry spot (Kirshfleck), they are the remnants of a group I bought w/c from CRLCA 5-6 years ago.
I have two tanks with T. duboisi, and a tank of juvenile T. ikola.

Cherry spots are so pretty aren't they! Al was selling a colony here a year or so ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not coughing up the cash and buying them when I had the chance.